Tar Heel Social compiles playlists for new UNC Spotify account

IMG_2340.jpg
DTH Photo Illustration. A UNC Spotify account compiled by Tar Heel Social is highlighting music that represents various aspects of campus life.

The Bell Tower, Kenan Stadium, The Dean Dome — UNC is known for its famous photo-worthy sights across campus. And a new Spotify account aims to capture UNC's signature sounds. 

As of March 12, a University Spotify account compiled by Tar Heel Social is highlighting music that represents campus life. 

Junior Lizzy Campbell, along with the other members of Tar Heel Social, strive to make the Spotify account student-driven in every aspect.

Campbell said the account highlights student organizations across campus such as Carolina Performing Arts, UNC’s Music Department and UNC’s a cappella groups. 

The playlists each cover a certain vibe or mood specific to UNC student life, Campbell said. Examples include “POV: You’re on a Wellness Day” or “Crossing the Quad.” The account also caters to new students with a playlist for the upcoming Class of 2025. 

“It represents Tar Heels everywhere,” Hunter Sigmund, a junior member of Tar Heel Social, said.

The Tar Heel Social program, formerly known as Carolina Social Influencers, came up with the idea to create the Spotify account in 2019. 

When the pandemic hit, Tar Heel Social decided to finalize the Spotify project. Members like Campbell and Sigmund said music could connect people with the University even if they are not on campus. 

One purpose of the Spotify account is to showcase the diversity of perspectives and experiences within the Tar Heel family, Sigmund said. 

Students can participate with or submit song suggestions to Tar Heel Social through both the group and the University's social media accounts, including the University's Instagram story. The program also accepts ideas and suggestions at socialmedia@unc.edu.

“I wanted there to be a student voice in UNC’s Social Media Communications," Sigmund said, "and I wanted to see more identity and perspectives reflected."

When Tar Heel Social launched the project, they set a listeners goal of 100 followers in six months. 

“As of (March 16) we hit 200 followers and have already doubled our goal,” Morgan Trachtman, social media community leader for University Communications, said.

In the future, Tar Heel Social’s goal is to continue to connect the Tar Heel community and “showcase what it is like to be a student at Carolina,” said Trachtman.