UNC set to receive 2,000 doses of the COVID-19 vaccine. But this could change.

20210326_Burt_LamarRichardsVaccine-12.jpg
UNC Student Body President Lamar Richards receives his COVID-19 vaccine at the Friday Center on Friday, March 26th, 2021.

UNC Campus Health’s vaccination clinic will open March 31 for student vaccinations.

Campus Health was approved by the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services as a vaccine provider and received a 2,000-dose allocation for the week.

The allotment was the second largest allocation in Orange County for the week, just behind UNC Health. But future dose allocation, both in quantity and type, could change in the future. 

Doses are allocated on a weekly basis, Campus Health Executive Director Ken Pittman said. 

“We certainly had a preference for Johnson & Johnson, the one-dose vaccine, because we believe that that will impact our students more favorably,” Pittman said. “But it does not necessarily mean that we will continue to get that. We could get a two-dose vaccine in the future.” 

This was the case for North Carolina State University’s vaccination clinic, which opened March 24. It received 300 doses of the Moderna two-dose vaccine and 300 doses of the Johnson & Johnson one-dose vaccine in its first week of operation. Then for the week of March 31, N.C. State has been allocated 1,500 doses of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine and 300 doses of the Moderna vaccine.

UNC Health received 4,680 doses of Pfizer, 200 doses of the Moderna vaccine and 300 doses of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine at the Friday Center for this week, Orange County Community Relations Director Todd McGee said in an email. UNC Campus Health received the second-most, with 2,000 doses of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine. 

Pittman said Campus Health will receive shipments of weekly allocations on Tuesday, which is why Campus Health is beginning distribution on Wednesday. He said it is important that students show up to their appointment, as future dose allocation from the state will be informed by the number of doses Campus Health gives in the first week.

Students are not required to get vaccinated, but any student living in a congregate living setting is eligible

If students experience any symptoms after vaccination, they should not attend classes. Instructors can now make class absence approvals themselves, Blouin said in an email to faculty on Monday. Students do not need to submit a request to the University Approved Absence Office, and Campus Health will not provide class absence documentation for their vaccine appointment. 

"We have asked students to schedule their appointments to avoid conflicts with their classes, exams or work, but most importantly we want as many members of our community to be vaccinated as soon as they are eligible," Blouin said in the email. 

First-year biology major Caroline Cochrane said she was able to make her appointment with no issues and is relieved to get her shot. 

“I'll definitely feel more relieved and comfortable because it's one step closer to us going back to somewhat of a normal social environment,” Cochrane said. “I'm not going to change much of what I do, but campus will be much less stressful, especially because a lot of people here are getting the vaccine.” 

Vaccinations will not change UNC's COVID-19 community standards for this semester, Blouin said in a statement. 

“As we move forward with vaccinations, we know that a comprehensive, multi-faceted approach remains the best way to continue to limit the spread of the virus,” Blouin said. "... Any changes for summer and fall 2021 semesters are still being determined and will be based on the latest guidance from our public health and medical experts.”

@charlottemgeier