Friday May 7th

Office DJ: Losers like me

Matthew Morrison of the television show "Glee" arrives at the Goodman Theatre Gala in Chicago, Illinois, on May 21, 2011. Photo courtesy of Chris Sweda/Chicago Tribune/MCT
Buy Photos Matthew Morrison of the television show "Glee" arrives at the Goodman Theatre Gala in Chicago, Illinois, on May 21, 2011. Photo courtesy of Chris Sweda/Chicago Tribune/MCT

Picture this: It’s 9 p.m. on a Thursday night in 2012. The world is ending, apparently, according to the Mayan calendar. People can’t stop singing “Call Me Maybe” by Carly Rae Jepsen. Meanwhile, you’re watching the latest episode of “Glee” on FOX. 

Confession time: we love "Glee." Unironically. 

Yes, there are more than a few moments from the show that we wish we could forget. And sure, Will Schuester should probably be in prison. But we’re not ashamed to say we find comfort in the corny plotlines and in the 6,000 different versions of “Don’t Stop Believin’.” 

Because above all, “Glee” is a heartwarming show about friendship that makes us nostalgic for the time in our lives when all we had to worry about was turning on the TV at 9 p.m. sharp. Whether it’s watching reruns of “Glee” (thanks, Olivia Rodrigo) or blasting “Glee: The Music, The Graduation Album” as we prepare to enter the real world (scary), the kids of McKinley High have been there for us through it all. 

It’s time to accept the fact that some "Glee" covers are as good as (or even better than!) the original songs. Yes, we said it! This might be the minority opinion, but hey, we’re all minorities! We’re in the glee club.

So, to pay tribute to arguably the best musical/comedy/drama to ever air on television, we sorted through the more than 700 songs in the “Glee” discography to bring you some of our favorites. Sip a slushie and enjoy.

The Daily Tar Heel for April 2, 2021