We talked with five UNC students about how they're redefining fashion this spring

spring fashion-6.jpg
Junior Public Relations and Advertising major Nicholas Fantauzzi poses for a portrait on March 26, 2021.

As the weather changes, students are trading in their Zoom sweats for new outfits. 

We talked with five students who are choosing to wear clothes that not only are appropriate for the warmer spring days on the quad, but also make them feel confident in their own skin. Here's what they had to say about their spring fashion. 

Nicholas Fantauzzi 

Advertising and public relations major Nicholas Fantauzzi believes that fashion is a way for expressing your confidence within.

Fantauzzi said he likes to wear furs and color-coordinate his accessories. He also gets his nails and eyebrows done as part of his spring fashion routine.

“I like to break down barriers of toxic masculinity by getting my nails and eyebrows done. To me, it’s stylish, it looks good and I’m taking care of myself,” he said. 

Fantauzzi is from the Bronx and cites fellow New Yorkers A$AP Rocky and Dapper Dan, and musician Harry Styles as his fashion influences.

“I remember there was a big controversy over Styles wearing a dress,” Fantauzzi said. "But he didn’t care, he was just living his life. I feel the same, no matter what other people think, I’m comfortable with what I do, in my own skin and I’m going to keep on dressing and do it how I like.”

Abigail Martin 

Sophomore archaeology and art history major Abigail Martin said her style has changed over quarantine. 

“I feel like it’s given me the confidence to try new things,” Martin said. "Zoom has given me more control over how I’m perceived and I’ve been wearing colors I’ve never worn and new styles."

Martin came out as trans in the midst of COVID-19 and has refashioned her wardrobe. 

“This period goes hand in hand with switching out my wardrobe and figuring out what works and what doesn’t,” she said.

Jaime Halton

First-year neuroscience major Jaime Halton poses for a portrait on March 26, 2021.

Athleisure can be stylish and practical — and confidence is a key factor in choosing clothes.

First-year neuroscience and exercise and sports science major Jaime Halton usually wears athletic attire because it makes him feel confident.

“I usually wear a compression shirt and athletic shorts because I want to feel confident in what I’ve been building all my life,” Halton said. 

He changed his entire wardrobe during high school to accommodate for track practices. He also likes to wear University athletic gear as a way of showing his school spirit.

“When I dress in athletic wear, I feel that there could be a pick-up game at any time, and dri-fit means I never have to worry about sweat or rain,” Halton said. 

Chloe Du

First-year neuroscience major Chloe Du poses for a portrait on March 26, 2021.

From thrifted garments to high fashion pieces, the explore and shopping pages on Instagram have inspired students to create their own style.  

Neuroscience major Chloe Du gets many of her outfit ideas from Pinterest and her Instagram feed.

“Spring is bright colors, and I think of white a lot and pastel colors,” she said. 

Du said fashion is a way of expressing yourself and your interests.

“My style changes based on where I’m going, in the spring, usually a skirt and a crop top based on the weather outside,” she said. 

Devin Street

Sophomore and Chapel Hill-based business owner Devin Street said the changing weather will impact the selection of clothes he releases. Street is the owner of The Street Brand, an online clothing store whose mission is to help support small businesses by donating 20 percent of its proceeds to businesses in Chapel Hill. 

Street said the newest collections will feature brighter colors such as light blue, yellow and tie-dye, and will include more t-shirts and shorts compared to previous collections. 

For Street, fashion is what makes you feel happy and confident.

“You don’t have to follow the trends," Street said. "In fact, you could be the trendsetter."

@chloe08w