Armando Bacot says he will test the NBA draft process

20210123_Pirozzi_MBBvState-405.jpg
UNC sophomore forward Armando Bacot (5) drives to the basket in the Smith Center during a game against NC State on Saturday, Jan. 23 2021. UNC beat NC State 86-76.

North Carolina sophomore big man Armando Bacot announced that he will test the draft process on Tuesday afternoon.

“I am grateful to say that with prayer, discussion with Coach Williams, Coach Davis and other coaches and my family, I will test the NBA Draft process,” Bacot wrote in a statement on Twitter.

This could make Bacot the second Tar Heel to declare for the draft this offseason, with first-year forward Day’Ron Sharpe announcing his departure in March. Bacot left the door open for a return, but will test the NBA waters this summer.

“I am excited for the opportunity to learn, workout and receive valuable feedback on my game that will allow me to make a solid decision on whether to remain in the draft or return to the University of North Carolina for my Junior year,” Bacot wrote.

During two seasons at North Carolina, Bacot holds career averages of 10.9 points and 7.9 rebounds per game with a field goal percentage of 54.3 percent. He led the team last season with 12.3 points per game. Bacot’s best trait in college has been his rebounding, as the forward recorded 18 double-doubles during his time at UNC. 

A potential Bacot departure complicates the frontcourt of a North Carolina basketball team now without Sharpe and Walker Kessler, though new head coach Hubert Davis hopes to bring Kessler back to the program.

@jerem11ah