A guide to outdoor activities in Chapel Hill and Carrboro

20210405_hannosh_springactivities-13.jpg
A family plays in Coker Arboretum in Chapel Hill on April 5, 2021.

Spring is here, and the weather in Chapel Hill is becoming warmer.  

Although restrictions in the state are lifting, there are still many outdoor, COVID-safe activities in the Chapel Hill-Carrboro area. We've compiled a list including music, movies, baby goat yoga, and more. 

Save the Music

Save the Music, a street performance series, is bringing live music from local artists to Franklin Street. On Saturdays from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m, visitors can stroll down the street listening to live music and supporting local businesses.

Kevin 'Kaze' Thomas, the Arts and Culture Director for the Chapel Hill Downtown Partnership who hosts the series, said art and music are vital to Downtown Chapel Hill's core culture. 

"For the town to be so heavily known for being a music and an art community from the past, it bodes very well to make right by trying to save the sentiment, or the energy, of what makes Chapel Hill cool to come to," Thomas said. "Our music scene and music culture is a huge part of that." 

Each week, the Chapel Hill Downtown Partnerships releases a lineup for the performers and where they will be performing.

Southern Village music and movies

Southern Village is bringing back its Sundays at Sundown series. From April 11 through September, Southern Village will host live music. A list of the upcoming performances can be found on its website

Movies by Starlight will also return April 15 through Oct. 31, hosted by the Lumina Theater and the Market Street Association. Movies will play on Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights, starting at sunset.

Both events will be hosted on the Village Green and require participants to reserve pods to attend, either through the Southern Village website or the Lumina Theater. There will be up to 40 pods available, each limited to 5 people. People are welcome to bring chairs and blankets and get food and beverages at the local businesses. 

Spring Haven Farm

Spring Haven Farm in Chapel Hill has a Baby Goat Festival, where people can meet and hang out with the farm animals while enjoying refreshments and music. 

Spring Haven Farm offers a range of events from Paint & Sip with Goats, Baby Goat Yoga, and more. A local artist runs a crafts station with various arts and crafts available for sales, such as birdhouses, painting pots, handmade coloring pages, magnets and other seasonal items. Visitors must register their arrival time between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. on the website and can stay until 6 p.m. when the farm closes.  

North Carolina Botanical Garden 

Every Tuesday from March 2 until May 25, the North Carolina Botanical Garden hosts an Outdoor Yoga in the Garden session led by Sam Sather, a certified therapeutic yoga teacher. The event is held in the Perennial Circle, displaying a different variety of wildflowers and greenery each month. 

In addition to yoga, the NCBG offers guided nature walks on the Piedmont Nature Trails such as the Spring Silent Walk and Spring Nature walk, led by the Garden Guides. Participants can register for these events here.

Click here to find more events on our calendar or submit your own.

More in Chapel Hill

More in Carrboro

More in The Upside