Five former Tar Heels look to get selected in the NFL Draft this weekend

20201114_Pirozzi_FootballvWake-1010.jpg
UNC's junior running back Javonte Williams (25) evades members of Wake Forest's defensive line during a game in Kenan Memorial Stadium on Saturday, Nov. 14, 2020. UNC beat Wake Forest 59-53.

With the 2021 NFL Draft set to begin Thursday at 8 p.m., five former Tar Heels are waiting to hear their name called, hoping to begin their respective career in the NFL.

Here's what you need to know about each Tar Heel in the draft: 

Javonte Williams

Williams is a 5-foot-10, 212 pound power back who always seems to break the first tackle attempt. 

Coming off of an 1,140 yard season with 22 total touchdowns, Williams has everything you want in an every-down back. He explodes through holes and follows his blocks well to get to the second level and has the strength and balance to break several tackles. 

Although he is a bruiser, Williams ran a 4.55 second 40-yard dash, showing the speed to complement the power he showed as a runner last season.

According to CBS Sports, Williams is projected to be a second-round selection and is one of the top-three running backs in the draft with Alabama's Najee Harris and Clemson's Travis Etienne. 

Michael Carter

Carter, listed at 5-foot-8, 201 pounds, is considered to be the more shifty back of the two, displaying great agility and footwork as a runner. 

With back-to-back over 1,000 yard rushing seasons and zero fumbles, Carter will be a stable and serviceable one-cut running back who will be sure to protect the football as a ball carrier. Carter is best on off-tackle and outside runs where he can get into space to use his vision and 4.50 speed to break off big gains. 

He is also a good pass blocker and capable pass catcher with sharp route running out of the backfield. Carter is projected to be a third-round pick, right behind the first tier of backs.

Dyami Brown

The 6-foot-1, 189 pound wide receiver is an excellent deep ball threat who is not afraid to go up for a jump with his great tracking skills. 

During his time in Chapel Hill, Brown has demonstrated his big play ability, scoring eight touchdowns of 40 yards or more. He is also faster than some might expect with a 4.44 second 40-yard dash time, having the speed to burn his defender and gain separation for a long reception or touchdown. 

With good cuts on his slant and post routes, Brown is set up to be a solid No. 2 wide receiver that defenses will always have to keep an eye on. He is projected to be an early third-round pick, but some mock drafts have him going earlier.

Chazz Surratt

Surratt is a 6-foot-2, 229 pound linebacker who is a tackling machine, averaging close to 10 tackles per game the past two seasons. 

As a former quarterback turned linebacker, Surratt is an outstanding athlete. He possesses great speed and athleticism at the position with a 4.58 second 40-yard dash time that allows him to swarm to the ball and keep up in pass coverage. Surratt takes great angles at ball carriers and fills holes well to stop runs while also having a knack for getting to the quarterback, collecting six sacks in each of the last two seasons. 

Although a bit inexperienced at the position, Surratt could develop into a stalwart linebacker at the next level with his intense work ethic and fast learning ability. Surratt is projected to be a third-round pick.

Dazz Newsome

Lining up on the opposite side of Brown, Newsome is a slot receiver with secure hands who excels after the catch. 

At 5-foot-10, 190 pounds, Newsome is a great route runner, using his quick and twitchy footwork to shake his defender and get open quickly. He likes to do his work primarily in space with the ball in his hands, whether it is in the middle of the field or on short routes.

He also holds immediate promise as a punt returner, a role he held for three years at UNC. Newsome is projected to be a sixth- or seventh-round pick.