Word on the Street: What are you most looking forward to next semester?

katsanis_old_well_file.JPG
Students in masks walk past the old well on Friday, Aug. 14, 2020.

UNC aims to return to in-person classes for the upcoming fall semester. For many students, this means getting back to a more normal college experience — and for some first-years, seeing campus for the first time. 

Staff writer Emily Shih asked UNC students: “What are you most excited for if classes return in-person next fall?”

Anthony Hui, first-year political science and business administration major

“The most exciting thing is just to meet new friends in person, and just admiring the beauty of UNC's campus, especially as I can be physically there to see firsthand.”

Swaycha Goli, first-year biomedical and health science engineering major

“I’m most excited about building stronger connections with my professors and feeling engaged in class. In some of my online classes, we are sorted into breakout rooms where people just mute and turn off their cameras the entire time. I feel like, in-person, I’ll be around people who are more interested in the subject matter and want to have meaningful conversations about it.”

Norman Xie, first-year computer science and neuroscience major

“I’m probably most excited about finally getting to see a lot of the friends I’ve made this year in the flesh.”

Kayla Dang, junior human development and family studies major

“I’m looking forward to getting more than like a thousand steps a day and also free CUAB events in The Pit. And getting more Vitamin D on my way to classes.”

Ambica Ramchandra, sophomore physics and economics major

“I’m really excited to finally see campus. It’s so pretty and I feel like I never took advantage of the scenery when I was actually there. I also miss interacting with professors in person. It’s such an integral part of the college experience and the pandemic prevented a lot of the serendipitous conversations. I miss hanging out with friends on the quad and try out new places to eat on Franklin, so very excited to be back! Also, (I’m) very excited to see the Asian American Center.”

Rebecca Rozansky, sophomore computer science major 

“(I’m excited for) in-person lectures since they're much more interactive and being able to work on group projects in person.”