Sunday June 20th

N.C. lifts mask mandate and limits on gatherings, distancing, capacities

Gov. Roy Cooper and First Lady Kristin Cooper announce their victory in the 2020 election on Nov. 3, 2020 on the steps of the N.C. Democratic Party headquarters in Raleigh.
Buy Photos Gov. Roy Cooper and First Lady Kristin Cooper announce their victory in the 2020 election on Nov. 3, 2020 on the steps of the N.C. Democratic Party headquarters in Raleigh.

Effective immediately, masks are no longer required in most settings, and mass gathering and social distancing limits in N.C. are no longer in place, Gov. Roy Cooper announced in a news conference Friday.

Cooper said this decision to lift statewide restrictions follows Thursday's announcement from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, which stated that fully vaccinated individuals no longer need to wear masks indoors.

Amid this change, Cooper encouraged all North Carolinians to get vaccinated in order to continue saving lives.

"North Carolinians have shown that we have resolve and the compassion to do what’s needed even when times get hard," Cooper said. "If we keep doing that, we’ll get through this."

According to the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services, over half of adults in the state aged 18 and older have received at least one dose of the vaccine, and around 43 percent are fully vaccinated.

Cooper said residents who are hesitant to get the vaccine and those who have not had time to receive their doses yet should still get vaccinated.

The Daily Tar Heel for April 2, 2021