UNC baseball gets swept at No. 6 Notre Dame

20210327_Wilder_Baseball-532.jpg
UNC junior pitcher Chris Joyner (49) pitches the ball during the Tar Heels' 1-6 loss against N.C. State on Saturday, March 27, 2021 in Boshamer Stadium in Chapel Hill, N.C.

The North Carolina baseball team traveled to South Bend last weekend for a series against No. 6 Notre Dame, where it was swept in three games.

On Friday, the Tar Heels were dominated by Notre Dame pitching, as they were held scoreless and could only muster six hits. Errant throws by UNC in the bottom of the eighth allowed Notre Dame to pull away to 4-0 victory. 

In the second game between the two ACC foes, Notre Dame jumped out to a 10-run lead in the bottom of the sixth before the Tar Heels quickly came to life. UNC scored nine runs in the next two innings to trim the deficit to one, but Notre Dame added an insurance run to build a two-run advantage heading into the ninth. First-year Max Riemer led off with a home run to make things interesting, but three straight outs ended the comeback bid. 

In the series finale, junior pitcher Caden O’Brien walked three batters and gave up four runs without recording an out before being pulled in the first inning. UNC eventually came back to tie the game at five in the third inning, but after that, the Irish struck gold and poured 14 more runs on the Tar Heels – including four home runs – to win, 19-5. 

UNC is now below .500 in both conference and overall play with just nine games left until postseason play.