Carolina Vaccination Clinic opts to also vaccinate UNC families and employees

UNC's first on-campus vaccine clinic opens Wednesday
The first vaccine dose given at UNC’s vaccination clinic is administered in the Student Union on March 31, 2021. UNC is now offering Moderna vaccines to student and employee family members.

The University is expanding operations at the Carolina Vaccination Clinic to now include family and household members of students, post-docs and employees. 

This decision was made in light of the large number of students getting vaccinated, which left additional availability at the clinic. 

Students, post-docs and employees can make appointments for household or family members through an ONYEN-protected website or as walk-ins. Walk-ins will be accepted Wednesday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and from 1:30 p.m. to 5 p.m.

Ken Pittman, the executive director of Campus Health, said it’s exciting to be able to vaccinate more people.

“We encourage our students to let their families and household members know of this service," Pittman said in a statement. "Being vaccinated is one of the quickest ways we can return to a normal campus environment.”

Another reason for expanding the clinic is the increase in its vaccine supply. Though it was originally administering the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, the clinic is now offering the Moderna vaccine.

Amy Sauls,  the director of pharmacy and professional services for Campus Health, said the Campus Health staff has made the rapid expansion of the vaccination clinic possible.

“It’s involved a lot of teamwork between our various departments,” Sauls said. “Between our clinical medicine providers, our nursing staff, our pharmacy staff and our registration staff have done a lot of work. Being a part of something that hopefully is going to change the pandemic by getting people vaccinated, we’ve been excited to be a part of that.”

Michelle Camarena, director of nursing for Campus Health, said getting as many people vaccinated as possible will be important in moving toward normalcy after COVID-19.

“There’s just no downside really to vaccinating as many people as we can,” she said. “We all benefit from it. We’re fortunate to be in a place where the state has plenty of the vaccine, and we’re able to administer it.”

With a variety of ways to get the vaccine, Campus Health officials said the goal is for the vaccine to be easily accessible for students and their family members. 

“I hope they find we’re a convenient place for their family members to get vaccinated,” Sauls said. “Hopefully it will increase the number of people in our community that are vaccinated.”

Though the University believes a large number of students have been vaccinated, health experts still encourage students and staff to abide by community standards and get tested for COVID-19 regularly.

“We as a University have to uphold the community standards, and so the community standards remain in place and testing is still encouraged,” Camarena said. “The trick is you just don’t really know who’s vaccinated and who isn’t, so a mask is still certainly recommended and a good idea.”

The clinic is now located at the pharmacy on the top floor of Student Stores.

To learn more about scheduling a vaccine appointment for students and their family members, visit https://studentcovidvax.unc.edu/

@kelly2cats_