UNC students share their plans for an unconventional LDOC

20210427_Pittman_LDOC-5.jpg
First year students who live together in Morrison study on the quad at Polk Place on April 27, 2021. Many LDOC events are online this year because of COVID-19.

May 5 marks the end of the the spring semester. The last day of classes on campus is usually a time of celebration, but because of COVID-19, students are experiencing a very different LDOC this year. 

Staff writer Sabrina Ortiz asked UNC students, “What are your plans for LDOC this semester?”

Sarah Austin, sophomore nursing major

This year on LDOC, I plan to relax before I start studying for my exams in the next coming days. I probably will have to work that night. But after that — instead of doing homework — I will probably watch movies or go to bed early so I can be prepared to wake up for the next few days and start studying for finals.”

Taika Sorjonen, first-year political science and studio art major

So I am not really doing a lot for LDOC since COVID, and I am also a first year so I don’t really know all of the traditions. And frankly my due dates are piling up on me so quickly that I don’t think I’ll be doing anything special. But I have heard of seniors and juniors reminiscing on their traditions on LDOC, and I have seen a lot of virtual events planned, but personally since I don’t have any ties to those traditions, I am kinda just going to class.”

Andres Otero, junior public policy major with a history and health and society minor

“This LDOC, I am going to a friend’s place. We are going to order take-out from Que Chula and just hang out and eat dinner and all that. It is definitely going to look different because of COVID, but I am glad since we are all fully vaccinated and its only a couple of us that we will be able to get together and celebrate after a really stressful semester.”

Jordan Mason, senior advertising and public relations major with an education minor 

My LDOC plans will probably be in the morning getting breakfast with some friends, and then maybe a picnic on the quad and then just walk around campus and take everything in one last time.”

Bethany Welch, sophomore dental hygiene major 

So this semester for LDOC, I plan on taking it super easy. The last semester has been extremely challenging and the last few weeks have been really demanding academically, so I am ready to have a day where I don’t have to get up at 8 a.m. and work immediately. I am looking forward to relaxing.”