UNC announces updated COVID-19 Community Standards for summer 2021

20200912_Wang_SGMemorandum-1.jpg

A small group stands near the Old Well behind South Building on Sept. 12, 2020.

The University's Community Standards have been updated for the summer to reflect new state and local COVID-19 guidelines, Chancellor Kevin Guskiewicz announced in a campuswide message Thursday

These changes, which will take effect starting May 17, include: 

• Face masks will no longer be required outdoors, except in groups that exceed the University's events and gatherings limit. Face masks are recommended whenever social distancing isn't possible.
  • The events and gatherings limit will be increased to a maximum of 100 people indoors and 200 people outdoors.
  • Employees will no longer submit a daily online report prior to coming to campus. Students, faculty and staff should continue to monitor their symptoms daily and not report to campus if they are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms.
  • In accordance with CDC guidelines, vaccinated individuals will not be required to get tested or quarantine if they come into contact with a symptomatic individual. However, those who live in group settings or experience symptoms may still be required to get tested.

The updated Community Standards apply to all faculty, staff, students and visitors, including those participating in Maymester and summer classes as well as summer camps and programs on campus, Guskiewicz said. 

The changes will remain in effect through July 31. The University will communicate the COVID-19 Community Standards for fall 2021 closer to the start of the semester, Guskiewicz said. 

For more information on the summer Community Standards, click here