Former fine dining restaurant Provence to reopen as Mosaic Café & Bistro in Carrboro

IMG_4549.jpg

Baptist Knaven, head chef of Mosaic Cafe and Bistro, poses for a portrait. Photo courtesy of Brian Cansler. 

Provence of Carrboro is reopening as Mosaic Café & Bistro, a change helmed by chef and owner Baptist Knaven.

The restaurant is rebranding its emphasis on fine French dining to an exploration of gourmet bistro foods, General Manager Brian Cansler said.

Mosaic Café & Bistro will use locally sourced ingredients and fine cooking techniques to elevate North Carolina staples such as clams and seared pork belly.

Carrie Brogren, the founder of the Chapel Hill Carrboro Foodies Facebook group, said she is excited about the rebranding. She said she had a chance to sit down with Knaven and see the new menu and space.

“Provence was a big part of Carrboro for a long time, but with the pandemic, they decided to reopen with some changes,” Brogren said.

By day, the restaurant will function as a cafe, serving baked goods and pastries. At night, the café will switch gears into explorations of gourmet food and wine.

But not everything from the French dining experience is leaving. Mosaic will keep some popular items from the previous menu, including escargots and the onion soup.

“We’ll miss that French flair and those menu items, but the new menu will retain some of that, so it’s not going away entirely,” Brogren said.

Cansler also is excited about reopening and recovering as the pandemic eases, he said.

“We’ve always loved Provence and the French fine dining concept, but we realized it was not the right restaurant for the community,” Cansler said. “We wanted to do something that was more local, sustainable and affordable for the people in our community.”

Cansler said he and chef Knaven have decided to transition to an expansive view of food, looking beyond French cuisine to explore a more universal menu.

He and chef Knaven have decided to transition to an expansive view of food and explore a global menu, Cansler said, and they will employ a small plate concept to allow customers to sample a variety of ingredients and dishes.

Mosaic will open on June 16, and reservations and the updated menu are available on its website.

"We’re so excited to start celebrating unforgettable moments with you again soon," a press release on the Provence of Carrboro website read. "We hope you’re as eager to make new memories at Mosaic as our team is to welcome you in this summer!"