Roy Williams speaks after reports that Mike Krzyzewski will retire after next season

20200208_Carter_bballDuke-1-2.jpg
Duke's head coach Mike Krzyzewski (left) and North Carolina's head coach Roy Williams (right) greet each other at halftime during the game against Duke in the Smith Center on Wednesday, Feb. 8, 2020. UNC lost to Duke 98-96.

Duke men's basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski will retire following the 2021-2022 basketball season, according to a tweet from Stadium's Jeff Goodman on Wednesday.

Krzyzewski has served as Duke's head coach since 1980, and over his 40-year career with the Blue Devils, he has accrued five national championships and 1,170 wins, the most of any Division I college basketball coach.

Krzyzewski's retirement will come just one season after Roy Williams retired as head coach of the North Carolina men's basketball program. The Hall of Famers competed against each other for 18 seasons in one of the fiercest rivalries in sports.

Williams guided the Tar Heels to three national championships and retired as the third-winningest head coach in Division I men’s basketball history with a total of 903 wins over 33 seasons — behind only Krzyzewski and Syracuse’s Jim Boeheim.

"Mike's been fantastic for the game of basketball, he's been fantastic for college basketball, he's been fantastic for the ACC and the greatest rivalry in sports, Duke and North Carolina basketball," Williams said Wednesday. "He's been a good friend. He's been a guy I've respected a great deal. He made everybody bring their A-game for years and years."

Krzyzewski is working with university officials to finalize a search process and name Jon Scheyer as his successor, according to a tweet from ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

The 33-year-old Scheyer played for Duke from 2006-2010 and has served on the coaching staff since the 2013-2014 season. He was named the program's associate head coach in 2018.

@LucasThomae

Lucas Thomae

Lucas Thomae is the 2023-24 sports managing editor at The Daily Tar Heel. He has previously served as an assistant sports editor and summer editor. Lucas is a senior pursuing a major in journalism and media with a minor in data science.