Thursday August 5th

UNC Police arrest individual for possession of firearms in Campus Health parking lot

A UNC Chapel Hill police car parked on campus on Thursday, Aug. 6, 2020.
Buy Photos A UNC Chapel Hill police car parked on campus on Thursday, Aug. 6, 2020.

CORRECTION: A previous version of this article contained a photo that may have suggested that Chapel Hill police was involved in this story. The photo on this article has been updated to more accurately reflect that UNC Police was the arresting agency. The Daily Tar Heel apologizes for this error.

UNC Police arrested and charged an individual with possession of firearms on campus Tuesday. 

A security officer observed Joseph John Radomski III sleeping in his vehicle in the Campus Health parking lot at approximately 6 a.m. 

Multiple firearms, including two rifles and a shotgun, a machete and ammo were found in the vehicle. 

Radomski was immediately detained by UNC Hospitals Police, and UNC Police took him into custody, according to a statement from Media Relations. 

He was then turned over to the Hillsborough magistrate and charged with felony possession of weapons on school property. 

No injuries or deaths were reported, according to an Alert Carolina message. 

Students who are experiencing anxiety as a result of the incident are encouraged to reach out to Counseling and Psychological Services.

@laurmccarthyy

Mail Home Edition 2021