Fire damages house on Kenan Street, four UNC students displaced from their home

20210706_Wilder_Fire-1.jpg
A structure fire early Tuesday morning left much of the residence at 106 Kenan Street uninhabitable and displaced two UNC students.

The Chapel Hill Fire Department responded at 6:16 a.m. Tuesday to a structure fire at 106 Kenan St., which displaced four UNC students.

The fire started on the porch of the home, and the residents were able to escape through the back door after awakening to the sound of glass breaking from the heat.

No residents were injured from the fire, but the students were unable to grab their belongings on the way out, and nearly everything in the home is now unsalvageable and the house is unlivable.

After arriving at the scene, crews confirmed the incident was a structure fire, and they were able to get the fire under control within 30 minutes of their arrival.

Ran Northam, the communications manager for Chapel Hill, said a bystander originally saw the smoke and flames and made the initial call to 911. 

Multiple Chapel Hill and Carrboro engine companies came to help, in addition to Orange County EMS, Chapel Hill Police officers and South Orange Rescue Squad.

Around half of the house was damaged by the fire, but the cause of the incident is currently being investigated. 

Northam said the fire caused much of the destruction, but water and smoke damage also contributed to a large portion of it. He said a car parked in the home’s front yard, additionally, had a melted and broken windshield, as well as some nearby trees.

The fire marshal’s office, he said, will determine the cause, which typically is not released to the public.