A guide to Fourth of July events in Chapel Hill

SV Fireworks-0105.jpg

Fireworks lit up the early evening sky at the 2019 Town of Chapel Hill's Fourth of July celebration hosted at Southern Village. 

Independence Day is just around the corner, and — like Katy Perry — you might be wondering how you can own the night like the Fourth of July. So, here are some things you can do around Chapel Hill this weekend.

July Fourth Fireworks

This year, Chapel Hill's firework show can be viewed from Southern Community Park starting at 9:20 p.m. Music, food and other entertainment have not been planned by the Town or by Southern Village, in accordance to COVID-related safety guidance.

“The July Fourth celebration is our town tradition, and we were not able to do it last year because of the pandemic,” Chapel Hill Town Council member Hongbin Gu said. “We are hoping that this is just one step for us to going back to the normal programming.”

Event parking opens at 7 p.m. To find more information about the fireworks, please refer to the Town of Chapel Hill website.

Spring Haven Farm Visit and Movie with Goats

Spring Haven Farm will be open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on July Fourth. Visitors can meet and feed animals such as Peppa pig, Wilbur and Orville the baby Highland cows and plenty of goats.

“It’s a big field day,” Machaela Maille, the operations manager at Spring Haven Farm, said. “We have old school games like potato sack races and tug of war. Springtime is when we have all of our babies, so they are out and running around.”

Maille said a handful of food trucks, in addition to Durty Bull Brewing Company, will be at this event. Tickets can be purchased here.

Later on, a family movie night will begin at 9 p.m., and visitors can take turns holding baby goats and pigs during the movie. A concession stand will be open, and guests can bring snacks and coolers. Movie night tickets can be purchased here.

Live Music at The Honeysuckle Tea House

The Honeysuckle Tea House will be hosting an all day long 'Sunday Funday' to celebrate the Fourth. The event will feature live music performances from the Tommy Jackson trio, Anita Lorraine and Knee Deep. 

Kicking off with a yoga class at 9 a.m., the day-long celebration will last through the night with the last performance beginning at 7 p.m. accompanied by a bonfire and s'mores.

The day also will feature a cornhole tournament, blueberry picking and red, white and blue-themed drink specials.

For more information, click here.

Cookouts and Picnics

For those who want to keep it more low-key, getting a group of friends together for lunch or dinner on the Fourth is the perfect way to kick back and relax during your holiday weekend.

If you’re looking to get out of your backyard, there are several parks in Chapel Hill with picnic shelters and grills for public use.

“My favorite things at a cookout are definitely burgers from a grill, cold drinks, a bonfire and having my friends around,” Case Redmond, a UNC sophomore, said. “I love sitting around the fire, just telling stories and talking. And s'mores are amazing.”

University Lake is also a great day trip destination and a perfect spot to share a meal with friends.