UNC Police Chief David Perry resigns, Rahsheem Holland serving as acting chief

20200806_Pirozzi_UNCPolice-2.jpg

A UNC police car parked on campus on Aug. 6, 2020.

Update July 7 at 8:15 p.m.: The UNC Black Student Movement condemned Holland's promotion and reiterated their demands from the June 25 demonstration during a press conference Wednesday. 

BSM also released a statement condemning Holland's promotion, saying Holland assaulted multiple Black students while they nonviolently protested during the June 30 Board of Trustees meeting, and that his presence creates a threat to the safety of Black students at UNC.

"(His promotion) further demonstrates this University's commitment to the suffering of Black students and their comfortability with violence being perpetrated against us," the statement read.

Chancellor Kevin Guskiewicz said in a statement Wednesday he is appreciative of BSM's work and plans to review their demands.

"I am tasking my leadership team to create a Campus Climate Plan to address the concerns shared by our students, faculty and staff," the statement read. 

In response to concerns over officers' actions during the Board meeting, Guskiewicz said he has directed Battle to coordinate an external review of officers’ body camera footage.

UNC Police Chief David Perry submitted his resignation from his position effective June 30, according to a statement from George Battle, vice chancellor for institutional integrity and risk management. 

Perry had worked for UNC Police since 2019. 

UNC Police Department Assistant Chief Rahsheem Holland has served as acting police chief since mid-May and will continue in that role, according to the statement. 

A national search will be conducted for the next police chief. These details will be announced at a later date.

"We thank him for his service to the University," the statement read.