UNC Libraries introduces reduced fines and new hours

20210816_Pittman_Library-11.jpg
Students return to UNC-Chapel Hill's libraries before the start of the fall semester. The system has changed its building hours, added self-service checkout stations, and it has reduced overdue book fees.

There is one more big change to add to the growing list of how the fall semester will be different: Davis Library is set to become the new late night spot. 

As students return to campus, all of UNC’s libraries will be reopening with new operational policies and hours. Here's a rundown of what students need to know. 

Operational hours

Davis Library will be open until 2 a.m., Sunday through Thursday during the fall semester, said Joe Williams, director of public services for University Libraries.

For now, due to hiring delays, Davis will close at 10 p.m. The new policy is expected to begin in mid-September, said Judy Panitch, director of library communications. 

The Undergraduate Library, which used to be open 24 hours on some days, will close at 10 p.m. most nights. Overnight hours will only be available during reading and exam days.

“We’ve adjusted the library hours to reflect the actual use patterns looking back before the pandemic,” Williams said.

All other branch libraries will operate from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. However, there are some exceptions, such as the Health Sciences and Kenan Science libraries, Williams said. The most up-to-date hourly information will be listed on the University Library’s website

Public computing, CCI printing and reservable study rooms have also returned to campus libraries, Williams said. All COVID-19 community guidelines must still be followed, including mask wearing and social distancing.

Samantha Anthony, a junior majoring in computer science and statistics and analytics, said she is excited about the opportunity to sit and study in person with friends instead of over Zoom.

“As someone who has pulled a few all-nighters in the libraries, I am going to miss those overnight hours,” she said. “But I do understand that these new hours are going to be better for the staff and will hopefully encourage others like me to take a break and sleep instead.”

Reduced book fines 

Standard daily overdue fines for most books are also being eliminated. 

Williams said fines felt like unnecessary obstacles and their removal will instead create a more equitable library experience.

“We feel like fines shouldn't be standing in the way between students and their learning,” Williams said. “We also found that fines were not an effective deterrent. Students will return books when they're done with them, and then they pay fines at the end of the year.”

Fines will still occur for all high demand items like media, DVDs, reserve materials and any recalled items, he said. Furthermore, if a book is over 35 days late, a replacement fee will still be charged, even if the book is returned.

“Even then, the amounts have been reduced because it's an equity issue for students,” Panitch said. “For some people, this is genuinely a hardship that prevents them from using the library to their full extent.”

Tyler Dennis, a junior majoring in statistics and analytics, said he believed the change was a move in the right direction.

“Late penalties are regressive and hurt the students that are already vulnerable,” he said.

New ways to check out

Prior to the pandemic, Davis Library introduced a self-service checkout machine, a concept Williams said they are expanding to the Undergraduate, Health Sciences and Stone Center libraries.

“Some people — just like in a grocery store or the retail — prefer to have something that requires a face-to-face interaction, but some folks don't necessarily want that; they just want to check out their stuff and move on,” Williams said.  

Students can utilize the self-service machines to help expedite checkout, Williams said. The library is also working to incorporate an app — called Meescan — to allow for users to scan and check out books in the stacks.

“We're here for the Carolina Community,” Williams said. "The libraries are really excited that this semester is starting back up, and we're looking forward to seeing students back in the library buildings and online. We want students to get the most out of their library experience.”

@forepreston