Cat's Cradle requires concert attendees to have proof of vaccination or negative test

20210828_Cruz_glassanimals-32-2.jpg
The crowd at the Glass Animals concert in Carrboro, NC on Aug. 28 cheers.

Visitors of Cat’s Cradle, a live music venue located in Carrboro, are now required to show either proof of vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test for entry. 

This new policy was adopted on Aug. 22, ahead of last Saturday's highly-anticipated, sold-out Glass Animals concert.

According to the venue’s website, all attendees must provide proof that they've been fully vaccinated in order to attend concerts. The final dose must have been administered at least 14 days prior to the event.

Attendees must either physically present their vaccination card upon entry or show a photo of the vaccination card along with their ID.

If proof of vaccination cannot be provided, the venue’s website said that the attendee must present a negative COVID-19 test that was administered by a healthcare professional within the previous 72 hours.

Proof of a negative test can be either printed or shown digitally, though the results must also be shown alongside the attendee’s ID, according to the website. 

Even with the new precautions, masks are still required indoors.

UNC student Ally Smith attended the Glass Animals pre-tour concert at Cat’s Cradle last Saturday. 

She said the venue had set up a large stage and viewing area in the space right behind the building, which is where those in attendance stood to watch the performance. She said she was more comfortable with the concert being held outdoors, as opposed to inside. 

“I felt very safe,” Smith said. “It felt great being outside. I know outdoor transmission is lower.”

She said she felt the venue did as much as they could to keep concert-goers safe under the circumstances, while also maintaining the atmosphere and environment reminiscent of pre-pandemic concerts.  

“It still felt like a real concert,” Smith said. “I was very impressed.”

Piper Finley, a senior at North Carolina State, had attended a Colony House concert at Cat’s Cradle in February 2020, right before the pandemic temporarily shut the venue down.

Compared to the other concert venues she had been to, she said the location was much smaller. 

“It was very crowded,” Finley said, referring to the 2020 concert she attended. “Everyone was standing very close to each other.”

Finley said she is in support of Cat's Cradle's new COVID-19 policies.

“I think it makes a lot of sense," she said. "I think that especially how the culture of your concert functions anyways, it’s not really like you have space in there, especially with just how small Cat’s Cradle is, it doesn’t really give space for social distancing.”

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends avoiding large events and gatherings when possible. Those attending large events are advised to wear a mask indoors as well as outdoors.

Key prevention strategies for staff and attendees include correctly worn masks, physical distancing, basic hygiene, testing and vaccinations, according to the CDC. 

Next month, Cat’s Cradle plans on hosting 20 concerts either outside or in its Back Room. An additional eight concerts will be hosted at different locations in the region. 

On Wednesday, the venue will be hosting another concert at 7 p.m., which will be headlined by Bayside, a rock band from Queens. Joining them on the program are the rock bands Senses Fail, Hawthorne Heights and The Bombpops. 

Two concerts at the venue were also slated to be hosted this weekend, but now neither will be running. A show by American drummer Carl Palmer and a concert by experimental music group The Residents were postponed and canceled, respectively.

Editor's Note: Ally Smith was previously a staff writer for The Daily Tar Heel. 

@cteachey