Graduates from NCSSM now guaranteed admission to UNC System schools

The Board of Governors unanimously approved the amendment Thursday

210307_Karayaka_student-loan-economics-2.jpg

DTH Photo Illustration. With the cost of tuition rising with each year, college students turn to loans for help.

The Board of Governors unanimously approved an amendment to UNC System policy that guarantees graduates of the North Carolina School of Science and Math admission to any UNC System school at its meeting Thursday. 

The board also discussed equity in college tuition and legislative updates regarding the budget.

What’s new? 

• The new policy will go into effect for NCSSM students applying for first-time admission, beginning with the fall 2022 semester, who complete all necessary graduation and application requirements.
    • It does not guarantee admission to specific programs or majors within each university. 
    • The UNC School of the Arts is the exception, as it requires an audition or interview for admission directly into a specific major.
    • “I think it's long overdue, and I'm very excited about it,” Randy Ramsey, chairperson of the BOG, said.
  • Members of the BOG also discussed the issue of equity surrounding tuition costs in higher education. 
    • “Keeping costs low is the single most important thing we can do to build back public trust and promote equity in higher education,” UNC System President Peter Hans said. “People overwhelmingly believe that higher education opens up new doors of opportunity, and it does, but only if the total cost of attendance is within reach."
    • The Committee on Budget and Finance recommended that the UNC System not increase tuition for residential students for the 2022-2023 school year. Ramsey said this is the sixth consecutive year in-state tuition has not been raised. 
  • Hans said the state legislature is expected to allocate the largest investment made toward system university repair and renovation in its upcoming budget.
    • The BOG approved a $4.8 million dollar capital project for Phase Three of UNC-Chapel Hill's women’s basketball renovations, which includes work on program spaces in Woollen Gym. The renovation will be funded by "athletic receipts," according to Committee on Budget and Finance meeting materials. 
    • As of April, UNC-Chapel Hill's deferred maintenance backlog totals over $900 million.
  • The BOG also approved updates to its committee responsibilities and names. 
    • The Committee on Personnel and Tenure will now be known as the Committee on University Personnel. The committee is no longer responsible for reviewing and recommending individuals for permanent tenure, according to the meeting materials. 
    • The Committee on Public Affairs will now be known as the Committee on Military and Public Affairs. The BOG added additional duties such as evaluating policies to assist military-affiliated students and support military partner organizations’ needs. 

What’s next?

• The Committee on Budget and Finance plans to bring recommendations regarding increased consistency across the UNC System in total cost of attendance to the next BOG meeting, scheduled for Nov. 18. 

Who is on the BOG?

• The BOG has 24 voting members, elected by the Senate and House of Representatives of the North Carolina General Assembly.
  • The president of the UNC Association of Student Governments serves as a nonvoting, ex officio member of the BOG. 

@hannahgracerose