On-campus food trucks accept swipes from UNC meal plans

IMG_7954-2.jpg

Junior sports administration major TJ Nanugonda and junior computer science major Garv Srivastava exchange conversation with Bulkogi BBQ truck workers while paying for their food with their meal swipes.

With food trucks back on campus, the meal choices for students extend well beyond the offerings of campus dining halls.

Starting Sept. 20, students with an Unlimited or Block Meal Plan have the option to use one meal swipe per allocated meal period at select food trucks at UNC.

Food trucks including Poblanos Tacos and More, Chirba Chirba Dumpling, The Corner Venezuelan Food and Fatboys Kitchen will all be accepting meal swipes starting this week.

The Corner Venezuelan Food has been in business for five years, but this marks its first year on UNC’s campus. Maricol León, owner of The Corner Venezuelan Food, said the meal swipes will give students an option besides the dining hall and also increase business for the food trucks.

León said she enjoys seeing students of various backgrounds come together to taste her food.

“It’s great since there are so many people of different nationalities on-campus, and all of them can try our foods and try our traditions,” León said. 

Sophomore Jake Beam sampled Bulkogi Truck on Monday. Though he has not visited many food trucks yet, he said he is excited about how the meal swipe option will change his routine.

“I’ve been to the Poblanos food truck before," Beam said. "I really liked it and I’m excited for the meal swipes. I’ll probably go at least three times a week — if not every day — just because I’m kind of sick of Lenoir food right now.”

Some students without meal plans, like sophomore Millie Pulliam, view the food trucks as exciting splurges every once in a while.

“It’s a good change of scenery from the usual meals, but since I have flex, I’m not really swiping meals so it’s a little different from me," Pulliam said. "I think someone who uses meal swipes would appreciate it a little more. But it’s kind of like a reward for me because I just took a test, so it’s like I get to treat myself.”

Patty Ortiz, owner of Poblanos Tacos and More, said she enjoys giving students the chance to try foods they might not otherwise.

“We love to serve the students," Ortiz said. "It’s really nice to give you guys the opportunity to try different things, not just what’s in the cafeteria. We get to see new people every day."

The growing relationship between students and the food trucks is one that León appreciates.

“I love to interact with the young people here, because they’re the future of this country and they should keep doing what they’re doing and never stop dreaming,” León said.