Georgia Tech snaps UNC volleyball's six-game winning streak with 3-0 win

20211022_McGinnis_vbvsDuke-2.jpg
Graduate student outside hitter Nia Robinson (18) hits the ball at the volleyball game against Duke on Oct. 22 at Carmichael Arena. UNC won 3-0.

The North Carolina volleyball team (17-5, 6-5 ACC) ended its six-game winning streak with a 3-0 loss on the road at No. 14 Georgia Tech (18-3, 9-2 ACC) on Friday night.

The Tar Heels came out aggressive in the first set with seven straight points early in the first set to take a 10-5 lead. They continued to stay ahead for the majority of the first set, but Georgia Tech was able to pull ahead at the end to secure the set with a 25-21 win.

The Yellow Jackets continued this momentum into the second set, quickly taking the lead. UNC attempted to fight back with a 8-5 run but ultimately, Georgia Tech walked away with yet another set, winning it 25-18. 

UNC would have to secure the third set for any chance to stay in the match against Georgia Tech. However, this proved to be the worst set yet for the Tar Heel team. 

Although the score stayed very close in the beginning, Georgia Tech asserted their dominance as the set went on. The last point scored by North Carolina trimmed the deficit to 23-16, but with a seven-point lead, the Yellow Jackets were able to take the last two points to win the set and the match.

Graduate outside hitter Nia Robinson led the UNC volleyball team in kills with 14. Robinson also chipped in two blocks. Her powerful offensive and defensive efforts were essential to the Tar Heel team in gaining points.

The leader in assists was graduate student setter Meghan Neelon, who also added six digs.

The Yellow Jackets dominated Friday night’s game from the beginning. UNC made efforts to get ahead at multiple points, but could not keep up. The team failed to secure a set, and its performance decreased throughout the game. 

The Georgia Tech loss ended a six-game win streak for the 17-5 Tar Heels. UNC has had a strong season, but this shutout loss against a ranked team shows that North Carolina may have trouble being successful against top programs, which is something the team will need to improve on if it wants to build off its success to this point.

The Tar Heels will continue their road trip on Sunday when they take on Clemson. The match will begin at 1 p.m.  

@lindseyashe_