A guide to Halloween events on UNC's campus this weekend

202001031_Katsanis_halloween-6.jpg
A group of students pose in their costumes and masks outside of Pantana Bob's on Rosemary Street Halloween night on Saturday, Oct. 31, 2020

With Halloween fast approaching, clubs and organizations on campus are planning an abundance of activities for students to participate in. 

“In our effort to provide alternative programming for those who might not want to go to parties, RHA is hosting events across campus this week that are open to all UNC students,” Elli Alexander, president of the Residence Hall Association, said. 

Here is a guide to some spooky-season events happening on campus this weekend. 

CUAB events

The Carolina Union Activities Board is hosting Cocoa with Coco Friday evening, in partnership with the Carolina Latinx Center. 

Attendees can enjoy churros and hot chocolate while they learn about Día de los Muertos through the 2017 Disney/Pixar film “Coco.” Showtime is 7:30 p.m. Friday at the Bell Tower.

CUAB is also hosting a Halloween carnival in the Pit this Sunday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. 

Participants can earn tickets from a number of festive activities — including axe-throwing, mini golf and sand art — which can then be exchanged for a variety of prizes. Students can also enjoy free food at the event.

All of CUAB's activities scheduled for this weekend are free to students. More information can be found through Heel Life and CUAB's Instagram.

Campus Recreation events

Campus Recreation will be offering many opportunities for students to participate in Halloween activities, including a costume contest and a Halloween-themed glow dive.

Rams Head Recreation Center will host Halloween Newbie Night to teach first-time climbers how to use its rock-climbing wall. This spooky-themed edition of their monthly Newbie Night event will take place Friday from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. at the Rams Head Climbing Wall. 

This is a first-come, first-serve event. Campus Recreation encourages climbers to arrive early. 

Rams Head Recreation Center will also host a costume contest with free Insomnia Cookies on the basketball courts on Friday from 8 p.m. to 9 p.m., featuring three costume categories: Cute/Funny/Non-Scary, Scary/Creepy/Halloween and Judge's Choice. Students must arrive to the event before 8:30 p.m. to participate. 

Campus Recreation will also host a Halloween Glow Dive with UNC Aquatics, a nighttime dive in Bowman Gray Memorial Pool, on Friday from 8:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. Students will have the chance to dive for glow sticks, play water games and pick pumpkins from a floating patch. Free pizza, popcorn and candy will be provided, and registration is required. 

Residence Hall Association events

The Residence Hall Association planned a week-long Spooktacular Extravaganza, giving all UNC students an opportunity to trick or treat, attend movie showings and paint pumpkins.

The Olde Campus Upper Quad Community is hosting Falloween, a festive afternoon including games, free food and a costume contest on Friday from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. 

The Connor Community is hosting a Cemetery Tour on Friday at 5 p.m., followed by a "Connorween" Party from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. It will also host a Horror Movie Night on Saturday at 9 p.m. in the Connor lounge.

The Residence Hall Association is also hosting a watch party for the UNC vs. Notre Dame football game Saturday night.

The watch party will be at the Carolina Gaming Arena, located on the ground floor of Craige Residence Hall. The event will feature giveaways, games and free food from Heavenly Buffaloes, Alexander said. 

Alexander recommended that students register on Heel Life in advance to ensure that everyone is able to get free food. Kickoff for the game and the event is at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday.

@collinatadlock