A guide to professional and pre-professional fraternities at UNC

ProfFratGraphic.png
A Guide to UNC's Professional and Pre-Professional Fraternities. Graphic by Gabi Allen.

Professional and pre-professional fraternities at UNC can provide community, support and resources to students with shared career interests.

To help readers navigate the different options available at the University, The Daily Tar Heel has compiled the following guide to the professional and pre-professional fraternities on campus:

Business and entrepreneurship

Delta Sigma Pi, one of UNC's co-ed business fraternities, has over 200 active chapters throughout the United States. Through networking, members learn about professionalism and explore industries in their interest area.

"We are a tight-knit network of students with a variety of majors who are focused on professional development, community service, and promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion in our community and in the business world," Vice President of Public Relations for Delta Sigma Pi Hailey Moore said in an email to The Daily Tar Heel. 

Sigma Eta Pi is a co-ed entrepreneurship fraternity on campus.

“Our goal as an entrepreneurial organization is to transform individuals into self-starters who follow their passions, develop lasting relationships and create value through innovative pursuits," said Olivia Andrews, vice president of marketing for Sigma Eta Pi, in an email to the DTH.

Pharmacy

There are four fraternities for pharmacy at UNC, all of which are co-ed and limit membership to students in the Eshelman School of Pharmacy.

Jacob Stroud, junior and regent for Kappa Psi at UNC, said he is grateful for the skills and experience he has gained through his involvement in the fraternity.

"Being around a bunch of people that are trying to support you, and you trying to support them, has been very helpful too," Stroud said. "If there was one thing that I did in school, if I had to flip every decision I made and keep one constant, it would definitely be joining this fraternity.” 

Kappa Psi is the nation’s largest and oldest pharmacy fraternity. It is also the only pharmacy fraternity at UNC with a physical house.

Kappa Epsilon is a smaller fraternity, originally established in the 1920s to unite women in the pharmacy field. The organization centers its philanthropy on awareness for ovarian and breast cancer. 

Phi Lambda Sigma fraternity focuses on leadership development in the pharmacy profession, according to their website. To be eligible for nomination to the fraternity, one must be a second or third-year pharmacy student.

The UNC chapter of Phi Delta Chi consistently ranks among the highest for fundraising nationwide. 

Dental and Pre-Health

UNC is home to professional dental and pre-health fraternities as well. 

Delta Delta Sigma is a pre-dental fraternity.

“Our organization largely represents the increasing interest in dentistry, especially for many undergraduate students at UNC,” said Kelly Doyle, president of Delta Delta Sigma, in an email.

Alpha Epsilon Delta Pre-Health Honor Society provides its members with resources to prepare them for a career in health care. 

One unique aspect of Alpha Epsilon Delta is its dedication to service, as members partner with local organizations for large and small projects.

Pre-Law

Phi Alpha Delta is the only pre-law fraternity at the University. They have a no-rush policy, allowing any undergraduate student interested in law to join.

“Especially at a school like Carolina, where a good proportion of the student body is on a pre-med track, it is a comforting space for like-minded individuals to figure out what their career path in the legal field will be,” Vice President Morgan Hanchardsaid in an email to the DTH.

“I’m considering it because it’s a community of people who are also interested in what I want to do," said Jordana Rockley, a first-year considering joining Phi Alpha Delta. "It also has resources for the LSAT and connections to people and careers in the field.”

Chemistry

Alpha Chi Sigma: Rho Chapter is the University’s only chemistry fraternity, which places an emphasis on service and community outreach.

“We provide guidance and experience in STEM classes with older members offering career, class, and tutoring help to our younger members,” said Henry Bryant, master alchemist of Alpha Chi Sigma in an email to the DTH. “Many of our members take classes together and form study groups to help motivate and teach each other.”

Technology

Kappa Theta Pi, the first professional technology fraternity at UNC, was established in 2020 by Maya Agnihotri and Rohitha Madduluri. 

The fraternity recently welcomed their second pledge class, and they focus on providing their members with a community and helping them develop the skill set needed to succeed in STEM.

Music

UNC also offers programs for those interested in the arts, including its international music fraternity: Sigma Alpha Iota.

President Emily Palermo said Sigma Alpha Iota is dedicated to encouraging, nurturing and supporting the art of music. 

“The Iota Tau chapter is composed of women from many musical backgrounds united in their passion for music and service," Palermo said.

Editor's Note: Future Business Leaders of America, Phi Beta Lambda chapter said they identify as a technical student organization, not a business fraternity. All professional fraternities included in this article were sourced from Heel Life, as directed to The Daily Tar Heel by UNC Media Relations. Identity-based, Panhellenic and Inter-fraternity Council organizations are not included. 

@_aishabee_ | @TadlockCollin

Aisha Baiocchi

Aisha Baiocchi is the 2023-24 enterprise managing editor at The Daily Tar Heel. She has previously served as a senior writer on the university desk. Aisha is a junior majoring in journalism at UNC and international comparative studies at Duke University, as well as a minor in history.