Foushee, Nowell and Haven-O’Donnell projected to win Carrboro Town Council seats

IMG_9785.jpg

Former Carrboro Town Council member Jacquelyn Gist (left) and Carrboro resident Jacqueline Marx campaign outside Carrboro Town Hall on Nov. 2, 2021.

Barbara Foushee, Danny Nowell and Randee Haven-O’Donnell are projected to win seats on the Carrboro Town Council, according to unofficial results.

Foushee and Haven-O’Donnell are both current incumbents. Current Carrboro Town Council member Jacquelyn Gist and newcomer Aja Kelleher did not receive enough votes to secure a seat on the council for the upcoming term.   

Foushee received 32.38 percent of the vote in Orange County, Nowell received 24.82 percent of the vote and Haven-O’Donnell received 17.63 percent of the vote.

Foushee said her campaign "used every tool in the toolbox" to win the election and she is thankful for the hard work her team put in.

“I first would like to thank the community and the voters for the support for the votes and also for entrusting me to sit in a state of governance again for four years for the Town of Carrboro,” Foushee said.

Foushee’s platform when she was first elected in 2017 included expanding housing opportunities, supporting local businesses and equal access to decision-making. These priorities were at the heart of her campaign again this year, the website said.

Nowell said Carrboro voters and residents have been able to engage with his campaign and have been very receptive to the idea that Carrboro needs to live up to its progressive values.

“We have run a really aggressive ground game because we really want to bring people who are not always represented in our local decision-making into that decision-making," Nowell said. "And I think people have responded to it really favorably.”

Haven-O'Donnell did not respond to The Daily Tar Heel's request for comment on election night by the time of publication. 

More in Carrboro