Miller-Foushee, Stegman, Berry and Searing projected to win Chapel Hill council seats

11022021_Hunt_Voting-6.jpg
Voters get prepared to vote inside First Baptist Church of Chapel Hill.

Paris Miller-Foushee, Karen Stegman, Camille Berry and Adam Searing are projected to win seats on the Chapel Hill Town Council, according to unofficial results.

Stegman won the plurality of the votes in Orange County at 20.14 percent, narrowly finishing ahead of Berry, who received 20.04 percent of the votes. Miller-Foushee received 19.92 percent of the votes in the county, and Searing received 16.7 percent.

Vimala Rajendran, Jeffrey Hoagland and Robert Beasley were the candidates rounding out the candidate field, finishing below the threshold necessary to be elected.

Council members are usually elected to four-years terms, and terms are staggered so that every two years, four seats are filled.

Stegman, the only incumbent council member running in this year's election, expressed her gratitude for the community's voters.

“I am honored and humbled by the trust the community has put in me to continue to serve on the Town Council for another four years,” Stegman said. 

According to her website, her main priorities after reelection include affordable housing, transit and connectivity, equity and climate resiliency.

Miller-Foushee, one of the newcomers to the council, said she would focus on affordable housing, environmental preservation and safety and security while working as a member of the Town government.

“It's going to be an honor to serve this community, and I'm really looking forward to helping to advance a more equitable, environmentally just, safe and affordable Chapel Hill that's in the reach of everyone,” Miller-Foushee said.

According to her website, she plans to advocate for purpose-built, transit-oriented land use that encourages small businesses to employ members of the community and thrive.

Berry’s campaign focused on increasing affordable housing, bolstering economic development and honoring Chapel Hill’s green space. 

“I am deeply appreciative of people's trust in me, and I look forward to working with them as well as the council and mayor and the staff to move forward with Chapel Hill realizing its ideals as being a welcoming and inclusive community,” Berry said.

Searing said he ran a grassroots campaign focused on Chapel Hill’s parks and public lands and said preserving these lands is an issue voters seemed to respond to.

“I'm going to try and fulfill the promises that I made during the campaign to protect our parks and forests and make this a Chapel Hill where we can all live as well,” Searing said.

According to his website, he will focus on how the council and Town can preserve and use public open spaces, forests and parks to meet the recreational needs of the community.

Staff writer Ian Walniuk contributed to this report.

@sophhteague

More in Chapel Hill