Editorial: Enjoying Thanksgiving in Chapel Hill, and away from home

20211122_McAnulty_thanksgivingfile_02.jpg
DTH Photo Illustration. Thanksgiving is this Thursday, Nov. 25, 2021.

As we pack up and plan to head home for the holidays, many of us will find ourselves settling into our homes away from home for Thanksgiving. 

The holidays aren’t always a picturesque vision of time with family and home-cooked meals; instead, we find ways to celebrate inside our dorms, apartments and with friends and roommates.

It’s important to remember holidays can be a difficult time for some students, and there are several resources for those who don’t have a traditional holiday experience planned. No matter where you plan to spend Thanksgiving, here are the Editorial Board’s unconventional ideas for celebrating the holiday in Chapel Hill:

• Check out the fun spaces on campus. The Gaming Arena at Craige Residence Hall and the Art Studio at Morrison Residence Hall are great ways to have fun and relax close to home – and for free. 
  • Host a potluck with friends. You don’t have to celebrate Thanksgiving — or “Friendsgiving” — to enjoy a meal with the people who you care about.
  • If you’re living on campus or just not the best cook (we get it), here’s a list of restaurants serving Thanksgiving meals this holiday.
  • Have a meal plan? Check out CDS’ list of off-campus restaurants that accept Flex for takeout and delivery. 
  • Check out UNC’s guide for students remaining in Chapel Hill over Thanksgiving for more ideas.
  • Take a hike in the nearby North Carolina Botanical Gardens or greenway trails. Being in nature is a great way to clear your head and observe the stunning fall foliage in Chapel Hill. 
  • If the humans in your life are ungrateful and annoying, spend your Thanksgiving with goats at the nearby Spring Haven Farm. The farm is currently hosting its Winter Wonderland event every Wednesday through Sunday. Goats are much more cuddly than your conservative uncle anyway.
  • Get your grub on with Chapel Hill Creamery! On Nov. 27, the local farm is hosting an open house with free cheese and sausage samples on the farm. It's always a gouda way to enjoy the break with some free food. 
  • Relax. Don’t feel obligated to spend the holidays in any particular way. Do what makes you happy, whether that means celebrating with friends, unwinding from the semester or studying up for finals. There’s no wrong way to spend this time off.

After a semester challenged by the pandemic and a long-awaited return to in-person classes, it’s time to unwind and practice self-care in ways that work for you. 

Have a good break, Tar Heels. 

@dthopinion

opinion@dailytarheel.com