No. 18 UNC men's basketball extends record to 3-0 with 94-83 road win over Charleston

A9376CF9-9C57-4382-8523-897B74AD25D6.jpeg

UNC junior forward and center Armando Bacot looks for a clear pass during the Tar Heels' exhibition match against the Elizabeth City State Vikings in the Smith Center in Chapel Hill, N.C. on Nov. 9, 2021. UNC won 83-55. 

The No. 18 North Carolina men’s basketball team (3-0) pulled out a 94-83 win in a rapidly-changing game against College of Charleston (3-1) on Tuesday, bringing the Tar Heels’ record to 3-0.

The game started fast-paced for both teams.

College of Charleston took an early 7-point lead, going up 13-6 in the first four minutes of the half. Consecutive layups from junior center Armando Bacot and a dunk from sophomore guard Caleb Love kept the Tar Heels within range. The Cougars were persistent from the arc, though, going 5-for-9 just seven minutes into the half, with guard Reyne Smith going a perfect 3-for-3.

About halfway in, Charleston went on a six-point run, putting the Cougars up by 11. Graduate transfer forward Brady Manek responded with a 3-pointer to kick off an eight-point run to put the Tar Heels within three points.

Nine points from Bacot in the last seven minutes of the half kept UNC in the game, but 11 turnovers versus just five from Charleston made it difficult for the Tar Heels to take the lead. At the end of the first half, the Cougars led 42-36. 

Manek started the second half with a three-pointer, followed by an and-one bucket by sophomore guard RJ Davis. Just under four minutes into the second half, Manek sank a three-pointer to give UNC the lead for the first time in the game. Charleston briefly took back the lead with a three-pointer, but consecutive buckets from Bacot gave UNC the edge, leading 52-49.

A jumper from Davis, followed by layups from Bacot and Love put the Tar Heels up by eight — their biggest lead of the game. The Cougars kept the pressure on, trailing by two with just under seven minutes to go.

Free throws put the Cougars within one point, but a three-pointer from sophomore guard Kerwin Walton followed by a jumper by Love gave UNC a six-point lead. With Charleston in the bonus and UNC in the double bonus, free throws kept the game close. Another 3-pointer by Walton and layup from Love put the Tar Heels up by 10 with four minutes on the clock.

Late fouls gave UNC the upper-hand with free throws. The Tar Heels ultimately came out on top, 94-83.

Bacot recorded a double-double, leading the team with 12 rebounds and a career-high 24 points. 

Love tallied 22 points, including 12 In the last six and a half minutes of the game. He also went 10-for-12 from the free-throw line, which helped keep the Tar Heels’ momentum up in their second-half comeback.

When a layup from Love put the Tar Heels up with four minutes to go, Charleston still had the potential to come back. However, the Tar Heels did not let the Cougars get within eight points of the lead for the remainder of the game. This 10-point deficit seemed to mark the beginning of the end for the Cougars.

After defeating Brown by just seven points last week, the Tar Heels have shown with this game that they are shaping up to be a dominant second-half team. This game will serve as a wake-up call as they prepare for a slew of high-profile matchups this weekend.

The Tar Heels will face No. 6 Purdue (3-0) in the Hall of Fame Tip-Off tournament in Uncasville, Conn. The game is set for Saturday, Nov. 20 at 4 p.m.

@dmtwumasi