Franklin Street has reopened after it was closed briefly between Boundary Street and Roosevelt Drive due to a gas leak Friday.
The gas leak was reported on the 800 block of East Franklin Street and was caused by a Google Fiber crew striking the gas line, according to Alex Carrasquillo, Chapel Hill's community safety public information officer.
The road was closed from approximately 11:30 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.
Dominion Energy arrived at the scene around noon, and the gas has been shut off.
"Gas leaks are dangerous, so if anything flammable gets near that, that could lead to a fire," Carrasquillo said.
The area is now safe, Carrasquillo said.
To get the day's news and headlines in your inbox each morning, sign up for our email newsletters.