Thursday January 20th

UNC football stars Asante and Corrales announce intentions to transfer

Senior wide receiver Beau Corrales (15) embraces head coach Mack Brown for senior day at the game against Wofford on Nov. 20, 2021 at Kenan Stadium.
Buy Photos Senior wide receiver Beau Corrales (15) embraces head coach Mack Brown for senior day at the game against Wofford on Nov. 20, 2021 at Kenan Stadium.

Senior wide receiver Beau Corrales and junior linebacker Eugene Asante announced their intentions to transfer from UNC on Thursday.

Corrales took to Twitter Thursday morning to officially declare for the transfer portal after five years at the school. He wrote his statement that he would fulfill his final year of graduate eligibility.

"Personally the last two seasons have not gone quite the way I'd wanted them to," Corrales wrote. "I wish I could have given you all more."

Asante didn't immediately take to social media to announce his departure, but a team spokesperson confirmed his decision.

Corrales missed the entirety of the 2021 season with an injury, but finished his UNC career with 80 receptions, 1,176 yards and 12 touchdowns in 35 games. He served a consistent target during his junior season, finishing third on the team with 40 catches.

Asante began his career as a true first-year in 2019, and finished his tenure with 25 games played. He totaled 39 tackles and one forced fumble as a Tar Heel.

@jerem11ah

The Daily Tar Heel for December 1, 2021