No. 25 UNC women's hoops closes out non-conference slate with 83-47 win over Alabama State

untitled-6.jpg
Sophomore guard Deja Kelly (25) shoots a layup at the game against Alabama State on December 21, 2021 at Carmichael Arena.

In the team's final non-conference matchup before the ACC schedule begins in earnest, the No. 25 North Carolina women’s basketball team (11-0, 1-0 ACC) defeated Alabama State (2-7, 0-0 SWAC) by a score of 83-47 at Carmichael Arena on Tuesday afternoon.

The Tar Heels put the first points of the game on the board through a pair of layups by sophomore forward Anya Poole to earn an early 4-0 lead. Alabama State used a layup and a free throw to cut North Carolina’s lead to one point, but the Tar Heels responded by going on a 11-0 run, capped off by a pair of 3-pointers by sophomore guard Deja Kelly.  

UNC increased its unanswered run to 17-0 before the Hornets were able to score again in the quarter. A jumper by Alabama State made it a 21-5 game, but the Tar Heels were able to make three free throws to close out the first quarter with a 24-5 lead. 

North Carolina continued its dominance in the second quarter, putting up 26 points while only allowing the Hornets to score 15, which gave UNC a 50-20 lead heading into halftime. The Tar Heels finished the half going 14-for-24 on field goals and 20-for-27 on free throws. 

The teams traded baskets in the third quarter, with North Carolina putting up 14 points and Alabama State scoring 12. The Tar Heels would then open the final quarter with a 16-2 run, to earn a 43-point lead, their largest of the game. The Hornets were able to put together a run of their own, a 10-3 run to finish the game 83-47 in favor of UNC. 

Four Tar Heels managed to reach double scoring figures. Kelly led with a team-high 16 points, while redshirt junior guard Eva Hodgson put up 14 and sophomores Poole and guard Kennedy Todd-Williams had 11 and 10 points, respectively. Todd-Williams had a complete performance against the Hornets, crashing the glass for a team-high seven rebounds — three of which were offensive — and leading the Tar Heels with four assists.

The Tar Heels took the first lead of the contest and would hold onto it for the entire game. The closest the Hornets came to UNC was early in the first quarter when they were able to cut their deficit to one point, but North Carolina went on a 17-0 run to put the game out of reach. 

UNC’s victory makes it 11-0 on the season for the Tar Heels, the eighth time in program history they’ve managed to do so. 

After a come-from-behind win against the team's first conference opponent in Boston College this past Sunday, which proved the team's capability to excite in ACC play, this win against the Hornets  was the final game the team had to show its dominance against easier foes. This game was the eighth time UNC held a team under 50 points this season, all of which came against non-conference opponents.

With the Syracuse Orange, a team UNC traded wins with last season, set to come to Carmichael Arena on Dec. 30, UNC will have to prove that this dominance, or at least this high-octane play, can keep the team afloat in the ACC.

The Tar Heels will have a nine-day holiday break before returning to action on Thursday, Dec. 30
at 4 p.m. when they welcome Syracuse to Chapel Hill.