UNC coasts past Syracuse 79-43 at home, improves to 12-0

20211221_McGinnis_wbbVAlabamaState-6.jpg
Sophomore guard Kennedy Todd-Williams (3) dribbles the ball at the game against Alabama State on Dec 21, 2021 at Carmichael Arena. UNC won 83-47.

The North Carolina women’s basketball team (12-0, 2-0) maintained its status as an undefeated team with a 79-43 win against unranked Syracuse Orange (8-5, 1-2) in their first game back from break. 

While Syracuse made the first three-pointer of the game, the No. 24 Tar Heels responded with a series of consecutive points, overpowering Orange both offensively and defensively. They attacked well from within the paint and worked the boards to their advantage. 

In the first half, North Carolina missed 14 shots but rebounded seven of them. The team did not have their best night from long range, shooting just 4-25. Though the Orange led the Tar Heels in three-point percentage, they only led by a small margin, 22 percent to 16. UNC out shot Syracuse from the field 40 percent to 21. At the end of the half, they led by a dozen, 37-25.  

Sophomore forward Anya Poole showed improvement in her game, working the rim to her advantage. Poole’s shot 5-10 from the field ending the game with 11 points. Poole also secured 10 rebounds, the second-highest in the game. 

UNC dominated on the glass, finishing with a game total of 63 including 26 offensive rebounds. 

The team connected well on the offensive and defensive end and were efficient in their game. In addition to being ranked for the first time since the 2015-16 season, the team is 11-0 for the first time since the 2010-11 season. The team secured the win 79-43, furthering their record to 12-0 overall and 2-0 in ACC play. This team is one of only five women’s basketball teams in the country to remain unbeaten this season. 

The team showed great defensive abilities, with sophomore guard Kennedy Todd-Williams making an impact on the outcome of the game both with and without the ball. Todd-Williams displayed a strong defensive effort and proved herself disruptive in the Orange game with five rebounds, two assists and a steal. By the end of the game, she had 10 points overall. Her ability to communicate quickly and efficiently on the defensive end made it easier for her teammates to score more easily throughout the entirety of the game. 

Alyssa Ustby delivered a strong all-around performance on Thursday. The seasoned sophomore fell short of this milestone making 12 points, 14 rebounds and six assists against Syracuse.

The Tar Heels' win was unquestionable when they pulled away from Orange in the fourth. With less than five minutes left in the game, they led Orange 67-35. North Carolina’s defensive and scoring abilities made it impossible for Orange to retaliate. The team’s explosiveness and energy on the court made it clear as to why they have been so triumphant this season.

While the team is on an impressive win streak, their ability to continue their success will be tested as they face harder competition on the road. Their most difficult conference game will likely be the NC State Wolfpack women’s basketball team, a team that is currently ranked No. 5 in the NCAA with an 11-2 record. These Tar Heels will have to find it within themselves to hold strong and clean up their shooting as they continue ACC play in the coming weeks. 

TheTar Heels will play unranked Clemson on Sunday, Jan. 2nd at 6 p.m. at Carmichael Arena.