Monday June 27th

Orange County Schools and CHCCS to close Monday due to inclement weather

<p>A runner circles the snow covered track around Fetzer Field in Chapel Hill, NC, on Jan. 7, 2017.</p>
Buy Photos

A runner circles the snow covered track around Fetzer Field in Chapel Hill, NC, on Jan. 7, 2017.

Updated 01/02/2021, 6:30 p.m.: Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools announced a two-hour delay for schools and offices on Tuesday, Jan. 4 due to freezing temperatures expected overnight. Both in-person and virtual learning will be on the two-hour delay.

Updated 01/02/2021, 7:37 a.m.: Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools announced it would close all schools and offices on Jan. 3 at 6:05 a.m.  Monday morning.

The closures will affect both virtual and in-person instruction, as well as after-school and extracurricular activities. 

CHCCS said the change was due to a reevaluation of weather conditions. A later tweet from CHCCS said that, prior to 5 a.m. Monday morning, district officials believed conditions did not warrant a full closure of schools according to available information. However, numerous reports of power outages in the area — including some affecting schools — and a flash flood warning issued by the National Weather Service were behind officials’ decisions to reconsider. 

Orange County Schools will also close Monday due to inclement weather conditions, according to a statement released Sunday afternoon.  

The district cited high winds, sleet and snow as causes. In-person and remote instruction will be canceled during this time. OCS did not respond to requests for comment at the time of publication.  

All buildings will be closed. In addition, on-site activities like after-school care and athletics, are canceled.  

Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools had originally intended to remain open on Jan. 3, according to a tweet sent Sunday

"We’re following the local weather forecasts that call for the possibility of slightly below-freezing temperatures overnight, along with a wintry mix of precipitation after sunrise,” the district said in the Tweet. 

To contact OCS with questions or concerns, call 919-732-8126. 

@madisonn4263

Next up in City & County

Next up in The OC Report

Next up in Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools

Next up in Education

Next up in Community members attend inaugural Chapel Hill-Carrboro Juneteenth events

The Daily Tar Heel Victory Paper for March 7, 2022