Tuesday May 17th

CHCCS moves remote Friday, OCS closes ahead of winter storm

A group of people run in the snow on Franklin Street in Chapel Hill on Sunday, Jan. 16, 2022.
Buy Photos A group of people run in the snow on Franklin Street in Chapel Hill on Sunday, Jan. 16, 2022.

UPDATE 01/20/22, 6:15 p.m.: Orange County Schools schools and buildings will be closed on Friday due to inclement weather. All onsite activities, including athletic events, will be canceled through Sunday.

Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools will have a remote, virtual learning day for all students on Friday due to anticipated winter storm weather.

All CHCCS athletics and other evening events Thursday have already been rescheduled. Any students in community schools after-school care must be picked up by 6 p.m. today.

Extracurriculars and events for Friday, Saturday and Sunday are also either cancelled or will be rescheduled.

A winter storm advisory is in place from 4 p.m. Thursday until 4 a.m. Sunday, according to the National Weather Service. The storm is expected to bring another round of snow and mixed precipitation to the Chapel Hill area.

"People should prepare to be self-sufficient for 72 hours in the event of a power outage, and if the roads become treacherous, we encourage those who can stay home to do so," Orange County Sheriff Charles Blackwood said in a press release Wednesday.

The Daily Tar Heel Victory Paper for March 7, 2022