Tuesday May 17th

CHCCS schools will close Tuesday due to hazardous weather

A group of people run in the snow on Franklin Street in Chapel Hill on Sunday, Jan. 16, 2022.
Buy Photos A group of people run in the snow on Franklin Street in Chapel Hill on Sunday, Jan. 16, 2022.

Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools schools and offices will be closed for students on Tuesday due to hazardous road conditions, the district announced in a press release Monday.

This closure includes in-person and remote learning for students. Employees have an optional remote Teacher Work Day.

While main roads and sidewalks are mostly clear, CHCCS crew observed that many neighborhood roads and sidewalks across Chapel Hill and Carrboro would become hazardous with the expected freezing temperatures overnight. 

"We feel that avoiding potential 'black ice,' plus an additional day of melting, would be best in order for all of our staff, students and families to have confidence in the safety of travel and walking conditions," the press release said.

Orange County Schools will also not be operating in-person on Tuesday due to hazardous road conditions. According to an announcement from the district, students will have an at-home remote learning day at all traditional schools.

@emmymrtin

The Daily Tar Heel Victory Paper for March 7, 2022