Durham Police officers fatally shoot man at convenience store early Wednesday

Content warning: This article contains mention of suicide.

*

*

*

UPDATE 01/14/22: The man who was fatally shot by Durham Police officers at a convenience store on Wednesday was Charles Piquet, 51, of Chapel Hill, the department said in a press release Friday.

The two officers involved in this incident were R.V. Gamboa and B.N. Vasquez, according to a Friday press release from the Durham Police Department.

The officers involved in the shooting have been placed on administrative leave with pay. This is standard procedure, Durham Police said in its original press release Thursday.

Durham Police officers fatally shot a man at a convenience store Wednesday morning, according to a news release from Durham Police Department.

Officers responded to an attempted suicide call around 3:30 a.m. at the Circle K at 109 N.C. 54 Highway West. Police said they were told a man was cutting himself inside the store, the release said.

The police department said that when officers arrived at the Circle K, "they saw a man violently attacking the clerk with a sharp weapon." Officers fired shots at the man, who was pronounced dead at the scene. The identities of the man and the clerk have not been released.

The clerk sustained serious injuries and was taken to the hospital. Officers were treated at the scene for minor injuries. 

The North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation and the Durham Police Department Professional Standards Division are investigating the incident. This is standard procedure, the press release said.

“My staff and I are always saddened by any loss of life," Durham Police Chief Patrice Andrews said in the press release Wednesday. "We will continue to keep our officers and the store clerk in our thoughts and offer condolences to the family of the man that has died.”

@skwebb73