Tuesday December 6th

Driver charged in car crash at Northside Elementary playground

<p>Northside Elementary School as pictured on Wednesday, Sep. 2, 2020. Northside Elementary School is one of the Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools that will benefit from the $4.3 million grant from the Oak Foundation.</p>
Buy Photos

Northside Elementary School as pictured on Wednesday, Sep. 2, 2020. Northside Elementary School is one of the Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools that will benefit from the $4.3 million grant from the Oak Foundation.

UPDATE, Jan. 26, 2022, 1:45 p.m.:

A driver has been charged following the vehicle crash at the Northside Elementary playground Tuesday afternoon, which left three children injured.

The Chapel Hill Police Department charged 40-year-old Fiona Evans, of Chapel Hill, with a safe-movement violation.

Evens was parking her SUV next to the playground when she hit the gas pedal instead of the brake pedal, a CHPD investigation found.

One of the children who was injured in the crash remains at the hospital.

The Chapel Hill Police Department responded to a vehicle crash at the Northside Elementary School playground that left three children injured Tuesday afternoon. 

According to the initial investigation, the driver crashed a vehicle through a fence and struck playground equipment.  

The driver of the vehicle and two children who were on the playground were transported to UNC Hospitals. One additional child was treated at the scene for minor injuries, according to a CHPD statement. 

There were 20 children on the playground at the time of the crash.

The investigation is still ongoing. Chapel Hill Police Crisis Counselors and the Chapel Hill Fire Department are providing assistance.  

@laurmccarthyy

Next up in Chapel Hill Police

Next up in Public Safety

Next up in Education

Next up in City & County

Next up in The OC Report

Next up in Community members attend inaugural Chapel Hill-Carrboro Juneteenth events

The Daily Tar Heel's 2022 Year in Review