No. 22 UNC wrestling caps off weekend with 37-6 win over Little Rock

UNC WRESTLING
First-year Spencer Moore wrestles Little Rock Sophomore Khyler Brewer in Carmichael Arena on Sunday, Jan. 23, 2022.

The No. 22 North Carolina wrestling team finished off an impressive weekend in Carmichael Arena on Sunday afternoon, taking down the visiting Little Rock Trojans 37-6 to move to 6-4 on the season.

The Tar Heels got off to an hot start, with first-year Spencer Moore – a day after celebrating his 18th birthday – winning 11-2 in the 125-pound bout, redshirt junior Joe Heilmann using a dominant second period to win 13-3 at 133 pounds, and No. 7 Kizhan Clarke winning by decision in the 141-pound match.

At 149 pounds, No. 20 Zach Sherman physically dominated his opponent en route to a 13-2 victory. The Florida native led 6-0 after the first period and never looked back, earning his 70th career victory. UNC led 15-0 after four matches.

2021 national champion Austin O’Connor then stepped onto the mat for the Tar Heels in the 157-pound weight class, and as he’s done for years in Chapel Hill, O’Connor dominated. 

Despite falling behind 2-0 on a takedown, the Illinois native recorded three takedowns and an escape to lead 7-4 after one. Five more takedowns and a near fall followed as the redshirt senior extended his lead, and O’Connor finished the bout with a dominant 23-9 victory, the 96th of his illustrious career.

Little Rock got on the board with a pin in the 165-pound match, which moved the score to 20-6 overall. These were the Trojans’ only points of the afternoon.

Graduate student Clay Lautt – ranked 16th in the country – then stepped to the mat and got all he could handle. The Kansas native fell behind 2-1 after the first period, but the second frame is where things got interesting. The Little Rock coaches erupted when they saw their wrestler earn a two-point takedown at the edge of the mat, but the officials deemed the wrestlers to have been off the mat and did not award any points. 

A tie at 4-4 halfway through the second period got reduced to a 2-2 score after a lengthy video review, and Lautt capitalized on the extended break. After a Little Rock escape put him down 3-2 with just 30 seconds left, Lautt found an extra gear and earned a takedown in the closing seconds to win 4-3. 

Redshirt first-year Gavin Kane won by fault in his 184-pound bout, extending the North Carolina lead to 29-6. Redshirt sophomore Max Shaw then continued the winning ways at 197 pounds, winning 20-5 with a technical fall, and senior Brandon Whitman finished off the day with a closing seconds 5-2 victory in the heavyweight division.

O’Connor, Sherman, Shaw, Clarke, Kane and Moore all visibly dominated their opponents, but Lautt and Whitman displayed critical abilities to close in the third period. Both Tar Heels won in the final seconds of their bouts.

O’Connor extended the Tar Heels’ lead to 20-0 after the 157-pound bout, and they never looked back. The closest the Trojans ever got was 20-6 after a pin at 165 pounds, but Lautt’s intense 4-3 victory in the next bout put Little Rock away for good. 

A victory over Little Rock doesn’t show up as a conference win or one against a ranked opponent, but it does show that UNC can keep its focus on the next match after its dominant win over Duke on Friday night. 

Coming back after the emotional high and performing like they did on Sunday shows the Tar Heels will have themselves ready for the quick turnarounds of postseason tournaments.

The Tar Heels head to Charlottesville on Friday night to take on Virginia for their second ACC dual of the season. The match starts at 7 p.m.