Monday, March 4, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

UNC women's tennis picks up a victory at home against Tulsa, 4-0

3E76489E-63DA-4253-B5D1-DCA18E609A8B.jpeg
UNC sophomore Reilly Tran returns the ball against UNC Charlotte on Friday, Jan 28. 2022 at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center Indoor Courts. UNC won 4-0.

Heading into Saturday’s ITA Kickoff Championship match against the Tulsa Golden Hurricane (5-1), the red hot 6-0 North Carolina Tar Heels continued their torrid streak of victories with a 4-0 win.

UNC took an early lead in doubles play as Fiona Crawley and Elizabeth Scotty as well as Alle Sanford and Reilly Tran both took 1-0 leads to start their matches. Both doubles teams proceeded to jump out to commanding 3-0 leads in rapid fashion. The other Tar Heel doubles team, Cameron Morra and Carson Tanguilig, went ahead 3-1. UNC was relentless against their competition, extending their leads at a rapid pace. The Tar Heels ended up taking the doubles point, with Crawley/Scotty and Sanford/Tran each taking their respective matches with convincing 6-0 victories.

In singles play, Reilly Tran took a 1-0 lead to begin her match against Tulsa’s Shura Poppe. She went on to win the first game of the set by a score of 6-1. North Carolina's other five singles players followed Tran’s lead as they also won each of the first games in their sets. In all six singles matches, the Tar Heels never gave up more than one to two games in a set.

Alle Sanford and Reilly Tran showed great chemistry on the court as they dominated their opponents early on in doubles play, not giving up a point as they went up 4-0 early. The pair ended up taking the match 6-0. Fiona Crawley and Elizabeth Scotty replicated this performance by winning its own match 6-0. In singles play, Elizabeth Scotty, Carson Tanguilig and Anika Yarlagadda all took commanding 4-0 leads in their second games. 

Cameron Morra was also a standout player, winning 11 games between the two sets that she played. Yarlagadda won the first singles match for the Tar Heels with a 6-1 and 6-0 victory in respective sets. Tanguilig and Scotty followed up Yarlagadda’s efficient performance with wins of their own as they each claimed the second and third singles matches for North Carolina, sealing up the ITA Kickoff Championship title for the Tar Heels.

The Tar Heels showed off their skill as they quickly took the doubles point, establishing the tone early on. They did not let their foot off the gas in singles play as Tran, Yarlagadda and Morra took 5-0 leads in their first games. In all six singles matches, the Tar Heels won each of their first games in their sets by at least four points. For an extended period during the second game of all six singles sets, Tulsa failed failed to record points. The Tar Heels delivered a suffocating performance from the moment the match started, and they hardly ever let up any ground.

The Tar Heels’ showing today was a reflection of the talent that they have on the team, and their win has preserved their undefeated record. Winning big in the ITA championship against a Tulsa team that had won five straight games of their own only serves to add to the team’s confidence as they head deeper into the season.

The Tar Heels will face off with the Wolverines at Michigan on Feb. 5th as they hope to continue their undefeated season.