UNC plans move to fully in-person instruction over the next two weeks

All UNC classes are expected to resume in-person instruction — "the mode of instruction that was advertised at the time of student registration" — by the end of the next two weeks, the University announced in a campus-wide email Thursday.

UNC previously delegated individual deans the discretion to temporarily modify modes of instruction when it announced spring semester policies on Dec. 31.

In Thursday's announcement, the University said deans and department chairpersons should continue offering flexible options for students and faculty based on their individual circumstances.

"In providing this update, we have considered a variety of factors," the email said. "We continue to consult with our health care and public health experts and monitor the current positivity rate and total cases. We expect to experience a decrease in cases in the next few weeks, in line with the county and state."

The majority of courses have been taught in person since the semester began, the University said. Other universities in the area and around the UNC System are following this plan as well, according to the announcement.

As of Thursday, 94 percent of students and 90 percent of all employees have attested to vaccination, according to the UNC's COVID-19 dashboard. The University's booster shot total is 8,182. The positivity rate from cumulative testing at UNC is 14.97 percent as of Wednesday.

@alliemkelly