Water we doing: OWASA presents updates on the Orange County water supply plan

030121_Young_Buccees-18.jpg
DTH Photo Illustration. The Long-Range Water Supply Plan, which was last revised in 2013, determines ways to provide reliable, cost-effective water to UNC, Carrboro and Chapel Hill through 2060.

The Orange Water and Sewage Authority presented updates on its Long-Range Water Supply Plan at the Orange County Board of County Commissioners business meeting last Thursday.

The Long-Range Water Supply Plan, which was last revised in 2013, determines ways to provide reliable, cost-effective water to UNC, Carrboro and Chapel Hill through 2060.

Ruth Rouse, planning and development manager for OWASA, said that while the area has a low risk of running out of water, there is still the possibility of an extended drought, which could affect the supply in the Cane Creek Reservoir due to its long refill times. The Cane Creek Reservoir is one of Orange County's main water supply sources.

The Long-Range-Water Supply Plan aims to address problems that were in part raised by previous droughts in 2001 and 2007.

Now, Rouse said, OWASA has determined that Orange County's portion of Jordan Lake's water supply is the best option to maximize current resources.

“We did look at drinking water data from Cary and Chatham County, which both have water plants on the lake,” she said. “Their data shows that they are consistently meeting all drinking water standards."

OWASA is also working with the Western Intake Partnership, which includes Durham, Pittsboro and Chatham County, Rouse said. WIP is designing a new water treatment plant on the western shore of Jordan Lake, which is set to begin operations in 2031 and expand in 2050.

Todd Taylor, executive director for OWASA, said that the organization’s top concern is water quality due to the large number of residents it is supplying.

Taylor said when harmful chemicals, such as Gen-X, are found, water treatment plants generally have to be modified to continue providing safe water.

“The good news is this is a brand new plant, so it will be built with state-of-the-art technology," he said.

Additionally, OWASA hired a consultant to align with a potential increase in lead regulations. The consultant will help develop a strategy to remove any identified lead service lines.

A December 2021 press release from the Environmental Protection Agency said it expects to finalize Lead and Copper Rule Improvements by Oct. 16, 2024. These improvements are intended to help achieve 100 percent removal of lead service lines, according to the press release.

Water leaving OWASA’s Water Treatment Plant has tested below detectable levels of lead for over 20 years, according to OWASA's quarterly report.

Water bill assistance

Raymond DuBose, a member of OWASA's board of directors, said at Thursday's meeting that due to Orange County’s COVID-19-related state of emergency, OWASA has deferred resuming its standard bill collection procedures for residents.

He said that OWASA currently has 580 residential customers who are 60 days or more past due on their bill. The average amount of money past due for these customers is about $460.

Before OWASA resumes standard bill collection, it will give customers with past due bills at least a 30-day notice.

“Under standard collection practices, customers who miss two consecutive payments of their monthly bill are subject to service disconnection,” he said.

OWASA is encouraging customers to pay as much as they are able toward their outstanding fees and to seek bill assistance, DuBose said. He added that OWASA is grateful for the county’s leadership in administering the N.C. Department of Health and Human Services' Low-Income Household Water Assistance Program.

LIHWAP is a temporary emergency program to help households afford water services. According to OWASA’s report, funds from LIHWAP can be used to pay off 100 percent of qualifying residents’ bills until Sept. 30, 2023, or until funds are exhausted. 

“OWASA has been in direct contact with customers with overdue bills to alert them to this program,” DuBose said. 

@sam_long16