Column: Gaga, Gucci and gambling an Oscar

ENT-OSCARS-SNUBS-SURPRISES-MCT
Lady Gaga portrays Patrizia Reggiani in "House of Gucci," released in 2021. Photo courtesy of Metro Goldwyn Mayer Pictures Inc./TNS.

Oscar nominations were announced Tuesday morning, and a missing Italian woman set Twitter ablaze. 

Lady Gaga was not nominated at the Academy Awards for Best Actress in a Leading Role, shocking both the gays and the film community. 

I don’t particularly care. “House of Gucci” was paced like making homemade pasta — hours of hard work for about five minutes of captivating splendor. 

What I do care about, however, are the absolutely deranged claims that Gaga made while on the media campaign for “Gucci.” 

So, I have compiled a list of the most outrageous ones. 

As a disclaimer, Gaga could very well be telling the truth about the following, but I’m going to need some receipts before I believe it. 

1. Gaga wrote an eighty-page biography about Patrizia Gucci.
  2. Gaga studied predatory animal behavior to understand murder — “Gaga admitted that before the scene, she watched foxes hunt and then did exercises in her hotel room where she ‘would be the animal,’” writes Chelsey Sanchez for W Magazine.  
  3. Gaga hired a psychiatric nurse to be on set at all times.
  4. Gaga was haunted by a possessed swarm of flies sent by Patrizia — ”On the last day of filming, I was on the balcony of my apartment in Rome, and I was blasting Dean Martin singing ‘Mambo Italiano,’ and I had a cigarette hanging out of my mouth. I was Patrizia. But I knew I had to say goodbye to her: Large swarms of flies kept following me around, and I truly began to believe that she had sent them. I was ready to let her go,” Gaga said in an interview with W Magazine
  5. Gaga spoke with an Italian accent for nine months.
  6. Gaga investigated the Jan. 6 insurrection — “I would have been a combat journalist. That was one of my dreams. When I was at the Capitol, the day before the inauguration, I remember walking around and looking for evidence of the insurrection,” Gaga said in an interview with British Vogue. 
  7. Gaga got drunk off of prop alcohol.
  8. Gaga thought she killed Maurizio Gucci in real life — “I drove by where Maurizio [Gucci] was shot … and I felt a pin drop in my stomach because I was so in my character, and I thought, ‘What have I done?’ We made art out of pain,” Gaga said.

Gaga sure knows how to promote a movie. Her claims surrounding "House of Gucci" are reminiscent of the anecdote she repeated constantly on the media trail for "A Star is Born," released in 2018. 

There can be a hundred claims made on an Oscar campaign, but it just takes a few insane ones to fumble the best actress bag. 

@dthopinion

opinion@dailytarheel.com