UNC baseball sweeps Seton Hall 3-0 in first series of the season, winning 7-3 on Sunday

202202018_Rhyne_BaseballvSetonHall-2.jpg
The North Carolina baseball team celebrates a home run during their season opener against Seton Hall on Friday, Feb. 18, 2022, at Boshamer Stadium. UNC won 14-3.

The North Carolina Tar Heels baseball team (3-0) faced off against the Seton Hall Pirates (0-3) for a third and final time this weekend, closing out the series with a 7-3 win. 

The Tar Heels struggled early on as the Pirates were able to get the bases loaded in the second inning. However, North Carolina was able to escape the inning trailing just 1-0 due to some great infield play to get the third out. 

The Tar Heels proceeded to load the bases in the third inning and would finally get their batting humming as they took the lead, going up 3-1. North Carolina settled back into its form from the previous game as they extended its lead further in the fifth inning, going up 7-1. 

The Pirates pushed late with two runs of their own to make the score 7-3, but the Tar Heels would hang on to earn their third straight victory.

Graduate pitcher Shaddon Peavyhouse had his fair share of struggles to begin the game, but he made big plays when he needed to. 

When the Pirates loaded the bases in the second inning, Peavyhouse was able to strike out a batter while the infield took care of the third out. In the third inning, Peavyhouse did not throw any hits and prevented the Pirates from extending their lead. 

The Tar Heels were then able to get on the board with RBI’s from sophomore infielder Mac Horvath, sophomore centerfielder Tomas Frick and sophomore designated hitter Alberto Osuna. Also coming in with an impressive performance was sophomore pitcher Shawn Rapp, who had three strikeouts in just over one inning of play. Senior pitchers Caden O’Brien and Gage Gillian each racked up three strikeouts of their own for the Tar Heels, making life difficult on Seton Hall’s batters.

The game was decided when the Tar Heels’ batting got back to where it was in the two previous games of the series. North Carolina scored six unanswered runs through four innings and held the Seton Hall batters in check when they needed to. Although the Tar Heels were a bit slow coming out of the gate, they were able to get back into the excellent form that they have shown early on to begin the season. 

The Tar Heels further exemplified the teams’ resilience after not getting off to the start that they wanted immediately. Good teams need resilience to be successful, and this quality is something that the Tar Heels have shown a lot of in their opening series of the season. When dominating from the mound and landing the big hits when they are needed the most, this North Carolina team can dangerous. UNC has shown itself to be a well-balanced team capable of rolling away with the lead at any moment, which could bode well for the rest of the season.

The Tar Heels will face the Elon Phoenix at 4 p.m. on Tuesday in hopes of continuing their hot start.