UNC's softball team wins all four games in Carolina Classic, defeats South Carolina 8-3

20210220_Loven_sb-547.jpg
UNC junior catcher Taylor Greene (15) talks to the dugout in Anderson Softball Stadium in Chapel Hill, NC on Feb. 20, 2021. The Syracuse Orange beat the Tar Heels 3-2.

The North Carolina softball team (4-0, 0-0) defeated South Carolina (3-1, 0-0) 8-3 to cap off a perfect weekend in the Carolina Classic. 

What happened

UNC’s matchup with South Carolina was tightly contested early on, as both teams scored a run in the first inning while failing to put any runs on the board in the second. 

It looked like the Tar Heels were ready to take control of the game in the third inning, as UNC cashed in on its four hits with two runs while holding the Gamecocks scoreless to extend the lead to 3-1. 

South Carolina, however, responded in the fourth inning by holding UNC scoreless and scoring two runs of their own off two hits to tie the game at 3-3. 

Neither team scored in the fifth inning, but the Tar Heels took a 4-3 lead in the top of the sixth inning thanks to a home run from sophomore utility player and pitcher Kianna Jones. 

UNC opened up its lead in the top of the seventh inning by scoring four runs off three hits. Then, first-year pitcher Lili Backes closed out the game by allowing zero hits and forcing two strikeouts in the seventh inning to help seal the Tar Heels’ 8-3 victory.  

Who stood out

Backes certainly left her mark on the game, allowing just two hits and recording four strikeouts through three innings of pitching. But her infield also helped fortify the Tar Heels’ stout defense. 

Junior infielder Katie Perkins and senior catcher Taylor Greene tallied five and seven putouts, respectively, while playing significant roles in holding South Carolina, which averaged just under 10 runs a game in its first three games of the season, to three runs.

Graduate transfer Sara Jubas had yet another impressive outing, connecting on two hits in three at bat appearances, scoring two runs and contributing one RBI in her fourth game as a Tar Heel. 

When was it decided

Both teams had a chance to win throughout most of the tightly-contested game, but when UNC scored four runs in the top of the seventh inning, it seemed unlikely that South Carolina had a legitimate chance at making a comeback. 

With a substantial five-run lead in the bottom of the seventh, Backes and the Tar Heels’ infield delivered the knock-out punch to the Gamecocks by striking out two batters and allowing zero hits to seal the 8-3 victory. 

Why does it matter

Maintaining a perfect record four games into the season while going undefeated in the Carolina Classic is certainly an important bright spot for the Tar Heels, but this game is also important because it’s another testament to the incoming transfer and first-year class and continued improvement at batting. 

While Jubas posted yet another impressive stat line, fellow transfer and sophomore pitcher Talia Hannappel struggled pitching through the first three innings after strong performances against Lipscomb and Virginia. But Backes stepped in for Hannappel and played a major role in sealing the Tar Heels’ victory by posting four strikeouts and allowing just two hits and zero runs. 

Also, after struggling at bat all last season, UNC’s season-opening game seemed to be cause for concern after the Tar Heels managed just two hits all game. But the Tar Heels’ game against the Gamecocks marked their third performance in a row that the team made six or more hits, which looks like an early indicator that batting struggles from last season may not carry over to this season.  

When do they play next

UNC’s next game is Wednesday, Feb. 16 at 4 p.m. on the road against Elon.