UNC softball starts the season 2-0 after 9-6 win over Lipscomb in Carolina Classic

20210220_Loven_sb-547.jpg
UNC junior catcher Taylor Greene (15) talks to the dugout in Anderson Softball Stadium in Chapel Hill, NC on Feb. 20, 2021. The Syracuse Orange beat the Tar Heels 3-2.

The North Carolina softball team (2-0, 0-0 ACC) won its second game of the season, 9-6 against Lipscomb in the Tar Heels’ second game of the Carolina Classic.  

In a game that looked like the Tar Heels would carry over their struggles at bat from the season opener, Lipscomb jumped out to an early first-inning lead, but that appearance quickly changed as UNC scored three runs off two hits in the second inning. 

Lipscomb, however, kept pace with the Tar Heels by scoring three runs of its own and maintaining its one-point advantage. 

UNC opened up its lead throughout the third, fourth and fifth innings. During this stretch, the Tar Heels scored five runs by strong batting performances in the fifth inning and capitalizing on Lipscomb miscues. UNC also tightened the screws on defense during this stretch, allowing just one run and two hits. 

The Tar Heels held a four-run advantage over Lipscomb heading into the bottom of the seventh inning. The Bison were unable to muster enough offense to win the game or send it into extra innings, and the Tar Heels maintained an undefeated record with a 9-6 win. 

When it looked like Lipscomb’s batters couldn’t miss at bat, sophomore transfer pitcher Talia Hannappel stepped in and brought a steady presence on the mound. Hannappel allowed just three hits and two runs through five innings while boasting an ERA of 3.6.    

Junior outfielder Bri Stubbs also stepped up in a big way after the Tar Heels’ poor batting performance in the season opener against George Washington. Stubbs recorded three hits in three appearances at bat against the Bison while also contributing an RBI. Stubbs also contributed two putouts, which were critical in slowing down the Lipscomb batters that were firing on all cylinders early in the game. 

Senior catcher Taylor Greene also had a strong outing for the Tar Heels. Greene had a game-high six putouts while contributing three RBIs, two hits in three appearances at bat and one run. 

The switch to Hannappel at pitcher certainly marked a turning point in the game, as Lipscomb scored four runs in two innings before she entered the game compared to two runs in five innings while she played. 

Another significant turning point was the Tar Heels’ 6-1 scoring run, which put UNC ahead by four runs with just two innings left in the game. With the way Hannappel pitched her first three innings, that seemed to be that, and ultimately was too large a deficit for the Bison to overcome with just two innings left in the game.   

While this win keeps the Tar Heels' record unblemished just two games into the 54-game season, it’s also significant because it shows improved batting and potential from incoming transfers. 

After recording just two hits in the season-opener against George Washington, the Tar Heels’ performance at bat against the Bison should somewhat calm the nerves of those worried about UNC’s batting. The Tar Heels had 14 hits against Lipscomb and scored nine runs, a big improvement from their season-opening performance. 

This game also showed that transfers Hannappel and short stop Sara Jubas might be able to contribute in a big way this season. Jubas, a graduate transfer from James Madison, tallied two hits and one run in four appearances at bat while contributing one putout on defense. Hannappel, a transfer from New Mexico, flashed potential on the mound after garnering limited playing time as a member of the Lobos. 

When do they play again?

The Tar Heels’ next games are Sunday, Feb. 12 against Virginia and South Carolina at 1 p.m. and 3:30 p.m.