UNC softball suffers walk-off 4-3 road loss to Elon Phoenix

20210220_Loven_sb-772.jpg
UNC junior pitcher Hannah George (42) makes a throw in Anderson Softball Stadium in Chapel Hill, NC on Feb. 20, 2021. The Syracuse Orange beat the Tar Heels 3-2.

After taking a short trip up NC Highway 54, the North Carolina softball team (4-1) was defeated by the Elon Phoenix (4-0) in walk-off fashion, 4-3, in an in-state battle Wednesday night. 

The Tar Heel bats came out sizzling as a pair of singles by junior Destiny Middleton and graduate Sara Jubas put early pressure on the Phoenix. Following a UNC strikeout, redshirt sophomore Kianna Jones came up to bat with two outs and runners on second and third.

Jones is arguably the top slugger on the team and with two players in scoring position she delivered, ripping the ball over the center field wall and opening up a 3-0 lead for North Carolina. 

The Phoenix struck back in the bottom of the second inning. First-year Chole Hatzopoulos' solo shot got Elon on the board making the score 3-1. 

The third inning showcased both teams' stellar defense, as North Carolina senior Taylor Greene’s double was the lone hit of the inning. 

Following a third consecutive scoreless inning for the Tar Heels, Elon chipped further into the Tar Heel lead. Junior Drew Menscer was able to score following a wild pitch cutting the UNC lead to just one.

North Carolina’s offensive struggles continued into the final three innings. The Tar Heels were held scoreless and managed to register just two hits — singles by sophomore Skyler Brooks and Jones. 

Heading into the bottom of the seventh inning, sophomore pitcher Talia Hannappel stepped to the mound with the Tar Heels clinging to a 3-2 lead. 

The Phoenix did not back down from the high pressure moment as singles by junior Megan Grant and sophomore Gabi Schaal put runners on first and second with no outs. The early hits seemed to get Hannappel off her game, as she walked the proceeding batter in four pitches.

With bases loaded, the game rested in the hands of the transfer from New Mexico. Unfortunately for North Carolina, the Phoenix needed just one more pitch to seal the game.

First-year Kaitlyn Wells’ 2-RBI single brought home the winning run, and gave Elon the 4-3, walk-off victory. 

Jones continued her strong start as her three-run home run proved to be the lone scoring play for the Tar Heels. The shortstop from Canada notched her second home run of the season and is the lone Tar Heel with a home run this year. 

Pitcher Hannah George continued her impressive senior campaign. Despite pitching just one inning, George didn’t give up an earned run, increasing her season total to 13.1 innings pitched without giving up an earned run.

In the final inning, UNC hoped Jone’s home run could be enough to squeak out a tough road win.

However, Wells had different plans as her single helped bring home two runs for Elon, and gave the Phoenix the comeback victory. The walk-off single proved that no moment is too big for the first-year outfielder.

The heartbreaking defeat gives North Carolina their first loss of the season, but also provides a number of lessons for the team, one of which is to never be satisfied. After a hot start that opened up a comfortable lead, the Tar Heels seemed content, and their inability to score additional runs throughout the remainder of the game came back to hurt them in the final inning. 

Fortunately for UNC, they have five games this weekend where they hope to put the disappointing loss behind them and get back to their winning ways. 

The Tar Heels travel to Florida for the weekend where they will participate in “The Spring Games.” Their first game of the event is against Florida Atlantic University on Feb. 18 with first pitch coming at 11 a.m.