A guide to Black History Month events on campus

BSM Black History Month
Members of the Black Student Movement celebrate the beginning of Black History Month in the Student Union on Friday, Feb. 1, 2019.

Black History Month is celebrated annually throughout the month of February — and the campus community has a series of events, lectures and activities planned. 

“These events provide an opportunity for the Carolina community to recognize the many contributions, the leadership and the advocacy, both past and present, of our Black students, faculty and staff,” Vice Provost for Equity and Inclusion and Chief Diversity Officer Leah Cox said in a statement. 

Here are some events happening around campus throughout February that are open to students and staff: 

2022 Black History Month Lecture 

On Feb. 9, Marcia Chatelain, a professor of history and African American studies at Georgetown University and author of "South Side Girls: Growing up in the Great Migration," will give the University's 2022 African American History Month Lecture. Chatelain's work focuses on women’s and girls’ history and Black capitalism.

She is a 2021Pulitzer-Prize recipient in History, as well as a recipient of the Hagley Prize in Business History and the Organization of American Historians Lawrence W. Levine Award for Franchise.

Her lecture will be held via Zoom at 6:30 p.m. Access and registration information are available online. 

Race and Memory at UNC with William Sturkey and Danita Mason-Hogans

On Feb. 18, UNC Associate History Professor in the Department of History William Sturkey and Civil Rights Historian Danita Mason-Hogans will discuss the history of race and memory at UNC from the founding days of the University to now.

The discussion will be held in the University Room of Hyde Hall at 2 p.m.

Blood Done Sign My Name’ live performance by Mike Wiley 

On Feb. 27, the Friday Center for Continuing Education is welcoming actor and playwright Mike Wiley. He will perform from Timothy Tyson’s book, "Blood Done Sign My Name." 

"Blood Done Sign My Name" tells the story of the brutal 1970 murder of Henry “Dickie” Marrow, a Black man in Oxford, North Carolina who was chased from a local store by three white men and beaten and shot. Despite the eyewitness reports, an all-white jury acquitted the men. 

Wiley’s performance is accompanied by Gospel Scholar and Singer Mary D. Williams. 

The performance will take place from 3 p.m., followed by a thirty-minute Q&A session. Registration is requested prior to the event

Black Student Movement’s collection of events 

UNC’s BSM is hosting a collection of interactive Black History Month events throughout the month of February with different topics for each event. The events and resources range from a BSM-curated music playlist to conversations on radical Black love and dating at a primarily-white institution.

More details of each event can be found on BSM’s Twitter

The Martin Luther King Jr. Day events that were canceled last month due to weather and COVID-19 have since been rescheduled. The MLK Memorial Banquet will take place on Feb. 20 at 6 p.m. via Zoom. The MLK Lecture and Awards Ceremony will take place on Feb. 22 at 6:30 p.m. in the Carolina Union Great Hall. 

If your organization is hosting an event for Black History Month, please email university@dailytarheel.com to have information added to this article.

@livvreilly

university@dailytarheel.com I elevate@dailytarheel.com