Theodore Nollert elected as Graduate and Professional student body president

06A8ED79-3ED8-41C5-85DA-63CE6170BBBC.jpeg

Theodore Nollert, a third-year PhD student in the English and Comparative Literature Department, has been elected president of the Graduate and Professional Student Government. Photo courtesy of Theodore Nollert.

Theodore Nollert has been elected as Graduate and Professional Student Government student body president, the UNC Board of Elections announced Wednesday.

Nollert received 59.14 percent of the total votes cast for the GPSG student body president election, defeating  opponent Zachary Boyce.

“The position of president means having a plan, but it also means supporting a lot of people who have plans of their own,” Nollert said in an interview with The Daily Tar Heel

Nollert is a a third-year doctoral student in the Department of English and Comparative Literature. He served as president of the Comparative Literature and English Graduate Student organization, and also serves as director of employment affairs for current GPSG President Neel Swamy's administration.

Boyce received 39.05 percent of the vote. Write-in candidates accounted for 1.81 percent of votes cast. 

The overall turnout rate for this year's election cycle was 3.84 percent, with 452 students participating as well.Last year, the total eligible voter turnout for the GPSG student body president election was 6.9 percent.The total number of eligible voters is calculated using current enrollment data from the UNC registrar's office.

Powers of the GPSG student body president include calling and conducting senate meetings, appointing committees and designating the GPSG cabinet positions. The GPSG student body president also represents graduate and professional students at all University functions. 

The electorate that does not occupy the student body president office will elect a president to serve as executive officer of their specific interests. Nollertwill work alongside Student Body President-elect Teddy Vann. 

Other GPSG election results 

Special Election for the GPSG Representative Unit: Romance Studies

Giuseppina Gemboni

GPSG Special Election: Biomedical and Health Informatics 

Maura Pauline

More information on the winners of Spring 2022 General Election races can be found here

@alliemkelly